Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lol ...going through the issues with my better half and her 13 ....finally decided to tear it apart and have the legs and rear shock remachined and resprung and valved to match rider weight. For about 600 bucks i thought it was well worth it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is the brake swap needed if all you want is to lower the bike a bit? Seems to me one should be able to just swap the eccentric position

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great forum, extremely helpful and visual. I'm putting a Soupys link on mine right now.
I was just wondering how you adjusted the front forks? I've been digging around trying to find exactly how to do it but I can't seem to find any forums. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,231 Posts
what year sprint and which parts do I need to do the lowering mod?
Any year, the parts are shown in the first post - whether or not replacement caliper comes with pads, you may wish to replace these.

I was just wondering how you adjusted the front forks? I've been digging around trying to find exactly how to do it ....
You just loosen up the pinch bolts on the bottom & top triple clamps and push the fork leg up through the clamps and re-tighten the bolts. Just complete one side before you do the other and you don't even require any major support, but will be easier if you put a jack under the motor just to take the main load off the front end (but don't elevate it to the point where the wheel comes off the ground). No need to even remove wheel.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
what year sprint and which parts do I need to do the lowering mod?
Any year, the parts are shown in the first post - whether or not replacement caliper comes with pads, you may wish to replace these.

I was just wondering how you adjusted the front forks? I've been digging around trying to find exactly how to do it ....
You just loosen up the pinch bolts on the bottom & top triple clamps and push the fork leg up through the clamps and re-tighten the bolts. Just complete one side before you do the other and you don't even require any major support, but will be easier if you put a jack under the motor just to take the main load off the front end (but don't elevate it to the point where the wheel comes off the ground). No need to even remove wheel.
Hope that helps.
Definitely, thanks for the help! Didn't want to attack the front suspension before I was 100% what I was doing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
lowering made easy

all this sounds very unnecessary , all I did to lower by about an inch, was to replace the triangular lower suspension linkage with a replacement part from lust racing here in the uk. I did it myself, and I am a hopeless mechanic!! feet flat on floor now , I am 5 foot ten.

·
Registered
10 Posts
all this sounds very unnecessary , all I did to lower by about an inch, was to replace the triangular lower suspension linkage with a replacement part from lust racing here in the uk. I did it myself, and I am a hopeless mechanic!! feet flat on floor now , I am 5 foot ten.
I am 5'6"-7" and find it perfect. At 5'10" it must surely be too low?

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi im keen on getting the lust racing lowering kit as well. can i ask how is it? will it affect the R model suspension? :)

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The main reason I lowered mine this way was the cost factor. The only link I could find at the time was around $300 US. I did the lowering Decosse suggested for about $100 complete. Not sure how much the link we're talking about now is worth. Also, the rear bearing requires regular maintenance so the work required to lower this way is no big deal at all.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts