Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
'20 Scrambler 1200XE
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellow T-rats (well not officially a T-rat yet...)
I am looking to buy a 1200 XE (do I need to explain why?) and, well, I am a fairly short rider (5'8" - 174cm with 31.5" rider inseam) - so looking at ways to lower the bike somewhat. Don't need my 2 feet flat on the floor, but flatter is better... at least when it comes to sitting on a bike 馃槈

Apparently there are 2 options:
  • TEC Bike Parts has a model specific lowering spring for the back that seems to bring the bike down 25-30mm (1-1.25") when installed and front fork adjusted an inch down
  • Triumph's Low Seat option that brings the height down another inch (25mm) according to their specs
What do you think of these options?
Is one better than the other, or should they be combined?
Any experience with either?

Registered
although I don't have any experience on this particular motorcycle, my experience in the past with low seats has been poor. Obviously, you spend all of your time riding on the seat. If you're going to rely on that seat to get you low you better make sure it's a super comfortable seat.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Registered
1200XE and Thunderbird Storm
The pb is that I fell in love with the white & green XE :love::oops: ...
Don't forget the tank is the only colour coded thing on the bike. Changing the colour=changing the tank - simple! Unless you really like the gold forks on the XE as well.

I wonder how much a new tank costs? Or find a 1200 Scrambler owner that wants to swap colours!

I don't know how comfortable the low seat option is - presumably it has less padding - but a 31.5" inseem is quite long for your height. I think you'll be fine on an XE with a lowering kit with the rear pre-load wound all the way off. Although I'm over 6'2" my inseem is only 32" and I'm comfortable on a stock XE - mind you I have plenty of - ahem - weight, to flatten the suspension a tad!

Registered
'20 Scrambler 1200XE
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't forget the tank is the only colour coded thing on the bike. Changing the colour=changing the tank - simple! Unless you really like the gold forks on the XE as well.
>> I do like the forks along with the handguards...and I do think the suspension alone being a better quality justify the additional price.

I wonder how much a new tank costs? Or find a 1200 Scrambler owner that wants to swap colours!
I think over US$1000; a paint job might be a much more affordable option.

... mind you I have plenty of - ahem - weight, to flatten the suspension a tad!
lol yeah but you're forgiven it's winter and one needs the added liner to keep warm :p

Premium Member
If I can suggest trying to get a spin on both of them - you might find that the boingers on the XC are more to your liking. The main reason I got the XE is that I'm a big fat bugger and it's got an IMU. OK, and the green and white tank :) At the very least, get a go on the XE - you might find that with the preload backed off, it's not as tall as you think it is. My brother in law had a go on mine and loved it and he's only 165cm. He was on tiptoes the whole time, but said it's no worse than his Panigale. He was also properly impressed with it. IIRR, his exact words were that it was "a proper bike". I think he was expecting it to be all mouth and no trousers - a couple of hours around Southern Bavaria and he was a happy little camper.

Registered
'20 Scrambler 1200XE
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vielen Dank f眉r dein Kommentar bobbo! (ja Ich bin auch Deutscher - wohne zwar jetzt in Kanada!)

the shorter rider that I am finds your comments reassuring as I've already halfway committed to buying an XE... :p

Registered
> I do like the forks along with the handguards...and I do think the suspension alone being a better quality justify the additional price.
Not to mentioned heated grps - Yes the XE is good value compared to the XC - plus the cornering ABS and TC! I loved the matt green XC and didn't feel I needed 10 inches of suspension travel - however the for price differential in the UK I couldn't justify NOT getting the XE - even though I ended up with the model and choice colour being made for me (ex Triumph adventure centre bike cheap!)

Registered
So which color XE did you get?
Also, as you said, you can swap tanks with a XC owner or get a nice paint job done for under $1000
The blue - which has really grown on me - strangely, I now think it's my favourite 1200 scrambler colour! I now wouldn't take the matt green as a swap unless it was with a brown seat! - which IMHO is a killer combination!

Registered
hey fellow T-rats (well not officially a T-rat yet...)
I am looking to buy a 1200 XE (do I need to explain why?) and, well, I am a fairly short rider (5'8" - 174cm with 31.5" rider inseam) - so looking at ways to lower the bike somewhat. Don't need my 2 feet flat on the floor, but flatter is better... at least when it comes to sitting on a bike 馃槈

Apparently there are 2 options:
  • TEC Bike Parts has a model specific lowering spring for the back that seems to bring the bike down 25-30mm (1-1.25") when installed and front fork adjusted an inch down
  • Triumph's Low Seat option that brings the height down another inch (25mm) according to their specs
What do you think of these options?
Is one better than the other, or should they be combined?
Any experience with either?
I am 5 foot nine and I opted for the 1200 XC. I felt the lower suspension better suited my height that I am extra excellent for the road. The only item I thought it was missing was a heated grips which I added. I鈥檓 also more a fan of the blacked out forks. With the XC I can flat foot, where on the XE I was on one toe at a time.
unless you鈥檙e truly going to off-road your 1200 scrambler often I would suggest the XC.

Registered
2017 Bonneville T120 Black
Apart from the thinner padding on the low seat, you would also have your seat closer to the footpegs, so a little more cramped seating position - that might be an issue for you with rather long legs.

Registered
'20 Scrambler 1200XE
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Apart from the thinner padding on the low seat, you would also have your seat closer to the footpegs, so a little more cramped seating position - that might be an issue for you with rather long legs.
Thanks Tauzero - I will check this out as soon as I get the bike from the dealer. I've gotten the low seat option, but asked to keep the standard seat - so I can always switch back.

Registered
2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC
Haia all
I had mentioned this in another thread... but as this thread is specifically about lowering the 1200 Scrambler, I'll continue here:
I fitted the TEC lowering springs to my 1200 XC a little while ago and through a combination of arctic weather and lockdown restrictions I haven't ridden it until today.
With the lowering springs fitted and the front yokes dropped down the fork stanchions, to keep the bike within it's original geometry, the bike is indeed lower. I can now put both feet flat on the floor.
I only dropped the front by around 16mm as there's not much more available on the XC and I'm not too keen on the over-long brake lines as it is - I certainly don't want them catching the radiator, for example.
The Tec springs drop the rear shocks around 20 or 30mm so I needed to add some preload to keep the bike level. So I'm currently running the bike with no preload on the front forks and 8 turns of preload on the rear shocks to get both to around 85mm of sag. Front and rear set to comfort to minimise any effects felt via the damping from clouding the essential feel of the lowered bike.
This is a quick YouTube vid of my initial thoughts earlier today:
My conclusion is that I think I need to add more preload at the rear as the bike is too slow steering compared to previously. Definitely lower though.
Just my 2-pennorth...

Registered
'20 Scrambler 1200XE
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haia all
I had mentioned this in another thread... but as this thread is specifically about lowering the 1200 Scrambler, I'll continue here:
I fitted the TEC lowering springs to my 1200 XC a little while ago and through a combination of arctic weather and lockdown restrictions I haven't ridden it until today.
(..)
My conclusion is that I think I need to add more preload at the rear as the bike is too slow steering compared to previously. Definitely lower though.
Just my 2-pennorth...
Great input 2WheelsGood! Do you think one should adjust front and rear according to trial and error (feel) of how the bike feels on the road after lowering it, or start by taking some measurements in the front and rear before the lowering, and try to maintain that ratio after having swapped the lowering springs?

Registered
Great input 2WheelsGood! Do you think one should adjust front and rear according to trial and error (feel) of how the bike feels on the road after lowering it, or start by taking some measurements in the front and rear before the lowering, and try to maintain that ratio after having swapped the lowering springs?
Haia skyhigh70... sky high eh? Can't think why you'd need to lower the bike, then...;)
As to my opinion - the latter - that's what I've done and what makes sense to me.
I spent quite some time trying to get the optimum sag (67mm) on my XC - that'd be 83ish on an XE - only to find that it made the bike too tall for me on the roads I habitually ride. I ended up riding the bike at 75mm sag on the original springs, so the current 85mm on more compliant rear springing feel OK to me - although I will be adding preload to the rear in the next few days. I guess the original springs are well matched, hence the same sag front and rear - but the 'softer' TEC springs will require more preload / less sag to 'feel' right.
The TEC springs are a good compromise, methinks. I'll be adding more rear preload to level the bike up as its obviously lower at the back than the front during the actual dynamic state of being ridden despite both, the front and rear, measuring the same at 85mm when static.
Seems to be a relatively inexpensive way to lower the bike and its easy to do. If I end up not liking it I'll simply swap the springs back to the originals.
Just my opinion...

Registered
Haia all
Well, I've now increased the rear preload and that's raised the back enough to get the geometry back to a more normal setting. The rear preload is now at maximum, however.
I reckon I'm at the limits of these springs for my weight, 94kg plus kit. There's no more left for a pillion or for luggage and the bike is low enough for me to catch my right boot on the ground when braking over not particularly rough ground. That has only happened before on very steep rough descents.
The bike runs and handles just fine and I do feel more confident about reaching the ground in awkward 'off-camber' conditions. But it has used up a lot of ground clearance and the front brake lines look to be too close to the radiator.
The Tec springs have definitely lowered the bike - they've worked as intended. I've no complaints about Tec bike parts' part in all this - I'm just too heavy - and the springs have yet to settle in. Tec bike parts did originally develop these springs for the longer travel XE.
The original Triumph springs were around 4mm shorter after 4,000 miles so I expect the Tec springs to sag more over time... and then it'll be too low again.
I think I'll be putting the original springs back on before my next tour with luggage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts