Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting! New guy here. Picked up a Tiger last week from one tall guy. He modified the seat for his long legs. This week I lower the rear 1.55" by spining the rear axle 180 deg. and dropped the front forks in the clamps 1.25". I would have gone the full 1.55" except of the handle bar interferance. I learned the hard way that the rear chain guard mount needs to have a spacer about 3/4". I know I might want to remove some length to the side and center stand. I already had to do the one hand balance act as I raised the garage door with the other hand. The roads are still wet and cold so I have yet to see what kind of sparks will fly at touch down in the corners.
Will I have any problems bottoming out on any thing up front like front fender? The seat is not a problem as is.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
How did you end up with a 1999 955i? That didn't happen until later. My 1999 is an 885i.
If it was an engine swap, I would like to know the details.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wrong Name?

Well, like I wrote, it's a new bike to me. There is no model ID anywhere on the bike, title, owners handbook service manual. It is in nice shape with origional everthing. Some how I thought it was a 955i. I got it from a friends brother.
Got tired of a Ducati not starting and missed out on too many miles last year and this bike kind of fell in my lap. I could put mega miles on a bike like this. I put 80,000 miles on two Ninjas so far.
By the way, is the fuel gage problem worth sorting out? I read a post that the float flakes out. It would be nice to have the gage working so I don't have to fill the tank all the time because of all that weight.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi TC, is the seat on its lowest setting? if not it might help to lower it;)
As for the gauge - take no notice, run her till the light comes on 240 ish miles then top her up:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
As for the gauge - take no notice, run her till the light comes on 240 ish miles then top her up:)
What the...??? Gas light on my 03 with 70k miles comes on around 170 miles then takes just over 5 gallons (US) to fill it up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gas Light

Hey Pete,
Yes, the seat is on the lowest of the three settings. I think I can deal with the seat now that it's lowered thru the rear axle and fork triple clamps. I can always cut the seat down if needed. You would not think 1.55" would mean that much but as you stand back and look at the bike I can tell that it's lowered. And my feet sure notes the difference.
As for the gas light, I have not seen it yet. I picked up the bike with 35 miles on this tank of gas and the trip gauge now showes 197 miles.
I would think the gas light is triggered by the flakey gas float. Is the gas light really triggered by a seperate sending unit?
I should just carry a spare can of gas and run it dry to find out. What was wrong with the old school petcock you turn for reserve?
Some one must have run off the road trying to turn it to reserve.:eek:
Thanks guys for the feed back.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The light and the gauge both run off the same sender unit (at least they do on the 955i).

You don't normally have petrol taps with fuel injection......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gas Light

Thanks Ian,
Looks like I can place two liter oil containers for gas inside a steel open top can inside my hard side bags for a backup test. And I just pitched 4, one gallon cans. Hope there is no trouble running a EFI motor dry. I am a new guy to this EFI age. My 2002 Ducati is efi and it's sitting in a barn. Too many fricking wires and controllers, right down to a chip in the ignition key. The battery does not have e-nuf cranking amps to fire it off in the cool Oregon weather. Hope I have better luck with the Tiger.
I will report back on my adventure.

197 miles and counting on this tank of gas, looking for the gas light?

·
Registered
351 Posts
My low fuel warning light can show at anything between about 170 and 220 miles depending on how its been ridden on a particular tankful. I thought mine was broken when I first saw 220 miles with no light showing. Hope yours is the same. Keep us posted.

JJ

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fuel gauge

Hi I have the same model as you and had the same problems with fuel sender, the light does work of the same sender so if one is faulty the other is as well . I ran mine for 230 miles on each full tank until I got a 2nd hand sender from a breakers( like hens teeth) you can get a new float or whole new unit from bike bandit.com.
they should be reasonable prices for you shipping to the UK was more than the parts , and no cheaper here even though its a British bike.
I would be interested in more detail in how you lowered yours as I got mine from a man mountain and I am only 5Ft 8 and can hardly touch the floor.
Hope this helps
Craig:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Lowering Sequence-Right or Wrong

Craig. If you got with the program you can lower your bike in 1/2 hour. Mine has a center stand which made the change e-z. The chain adjuster on the rear axle is an ecentric cam that can be rotated 180 deg. That will drop the rear swing arm 1.55". Just loosen the clamp screw on each side of swing arm as though you were going to adjust the chain. 10 min. tops. While you are back there look at the screw that hold the chain guard in place, the rear most one. You need to shim the chain guard up here .75 inch. A block of black delrin is what I will be using. Right now I have a rubber spacer. If you do not use a spacer here you chain is going to act like a buzz saw on your chain guard. Don't ask how I know this:mad:
On the front forks, because I have a center stand there is not much weight on the forks. I started with moving the fork gaters down the distance I measured from the rear. Which was the 1.55, but because of the interference with the handle bars, I could only drop the triple clamp down 1.25. There are 4 screws to loosen / retighten on the front fork clamps.
Craig-if this does not make sence to you let me know and I will try again. I this is so bone head easy I can not believe it is not listed in the owners or shop manual. One thing you will want to do is to cut 1.5" or more from your side stand. Another bone head ez task. My mod might have a tiger paw shape as the new pad.:D I will post with a picture if I do.
Sucker hole out side. Time to run it out of gas. ( Sucker hole=sun shine thru the remaining cloudy sky)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TIMBERCRUSER back from test ride

Well here is the skinny. My gas light came on at 201 miles.:) Yes! At 239 miles I ran out of gas. I poured in 1/2 gallon and rode to the gas station and gassed up with 5.8 gallons with 249 miles on the trip gauge. And double YES's:D:D, my gas neddle went to full.

As a side note: When it did run out of gas, it sputtered once then quit about 1/4 mile down the road. It started with the first push of the button.

I will have to keep an eye on this and sort it out but I feel a lot better knowing the light will come on and at about what milage. Thanks for all the help guys and hope I did not get too off track.

Now to get warmed up. We had snow covering the ground today when I got up. Burr.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lowering A tiger

thanks Timbercruzer,Bone head simple cant believe its not in a handbook either , good tip for side stand and chain gaurd.

Thanks
Craig:cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lowering Draw Back

On my ride tonight I did touch down onto the left hero peg. We may need to modify the side stand in a why that if need be as when we are carrying a camping load that we can return to the higher setting. I am not sure how much is going to drag with it lowered. Some people may never touch down when lowered, but a guy like me, I live to corner and if it's touching down on a cold day like today riding buy my self...well I might need to modify more or raise it back up. Watch your self and don't soil your boxers on the left handers.:eek:

I will look into a adjustable side stand for two setting. I got a plan in my head.

Cheers M8's.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Jacking up the pre load could spoil the ride quality and undo the lowering mods you`ve made, I`d be tempted to just remove the hero blobs.

What the...??? Gas light on my 03 with 70k miles comes on around 170 miles then takes just over 5 gallons (US) to fill it up.
The 240 ish miles was off the top of my head, and I would expect that if commuting. I normally get 260 miles from a brimmed tank till the light comes on = approx 60mpg:eek:

TC, If your gauge is anything like mine it wont be linear, but at least the low warning light is consistant:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
While you are back there look at the screw that hold the chain guard in place, the rear most one. You need to shim the chain guard up here .75 inch. A block of black delrin is what I will be using. Right now I have a rubber spacer. If you do not use a spacer here you chain is going to act like a buzz saw on your chain guard. Don't ask how I know this:mad:
How did the delrin work out? What kind of store carries it? I found a place online to buy some. A 0.75" x 1" x 1" piece was $13 plus shipping. What size works?

How hard is it to get on stock center stand after the mod?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts