Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is going to ride the 2000 Thunderbird as I have moved to a different bike. We have gotten the seat customized for comfort and lower but the bike needs to go down another 1/2" to 1".

Has anyone replaced the dogbone suspension mount? I have seen the replacement of that part on other motorcycles to lower them. Is there a replacement or do I need to get one CNC'd?

Thanks,
Stephen Grudier

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hope this helps

from http://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/79607-thunderbird-ride-height.html

"ride height can be altered by both changing the dogbone links to the shocks and by dropping the front forks .
Legend drop links will do the trick. These dog bone looking things on the rear suspension from a legend will lower it 1" & 1/4
Or you can make your own, 1"X1/4" mild steel flat bar. Cut to 8.5"
STock links are 7" centre to centre.
To lower 1 inch holes are drilled 7&1/4" c to c
To lower 1 1/2" 7&3/8" c to c
To lower 2" 7&1/2 c to c
Drop the fork legs through the triple trees a maximum of 5/8"
holes in the drop links are 15/32" diameter."

I made my own drop links (they cost about $5) to lower the back about 3/4" and raised the fork legs in the triple trees by 5/8". It doesn't sound like much but it really helps reduce the "tall, top-heavy" feel at walking speeds and, given my conservative riding style, the reduction in cornering clearance is irrelevant.

Be extremely careful when swapping the drop links - there are seals and bearings that you really don't want to screw up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure I got it except maybe the forks

So I see the use of the Legend drop links. Looking on Bike Bandit for a 2000 Legend TT the drop links have a different part number than the Triumph ones (and list the length in 185mm). I think I can see how the seals could be damaged. Will be careful.

As for the front end, I was slightly confused when you wrote "drop 5/8" then later wrote you had "raised yours 5/8"? Maybe a quick rundown on the methodology for lowering the fork legs through the triple trees?

I am excited to have her ride with me and not be so scared of dropping the bike. Already replacing the gear selector shaft from the one time she did drop it at a stop sign.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
As for the front end, I was slightly confused when you wrote "drop 5/8" then later wrote you had "raised yours 5/8"? Maybe a quick rundown on the methodology for lowering the fork legs through the triple trees?
Raising the forks or dropping the front of the bike, it all amounts to the same thing. Basically you have to remove front wheel and fender, and then slacken the pinch bolts in both top and bottom yokes (trees) in order to push the fork leg up, so that the fork tube protrudes above the top yoke by 5/8" or whatever.

Do one side at a time and measure to make sure they are the same, and you are good. The limiting factor to how much you can raise the fork legs will be the fork top nuts hitting the handlebar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Raising the fork legs

When I lowered the front of my Thunderbird Sport, I didn't see any reason to remove the front wheel or fender. In fact, it seemed to me that simply loosening the triple tree clamps and sliding the fork legs up made it easier to keep everything aligned during the process. It took less than half an hour. Based on the guidance above, I only raised them 5/8" - enough to suit my purposes. I assume the recommended limit has something to do with front suspension travel and handling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it

Excellent. Clear as could be. I am excited to get out there tonight and work on the bike. Then wait a few weeks for the parts to arrive to fix the gear change shaft.

This was great!

·
Registered
11 Posts
How did you make out with lowering the TB? any pictures of a lowered TB or TBS?

I ordered the legend links and hoping to do the lowering shortly.

About the lowering the front forks 5/8th of an inch. Does this have to do with the bikes tracking?

Thanks,
Rev

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not quite yet

I will be finalizing the order for the parts to get the bike back to operational and lowered this week after the 4th. Will let you know and with pics. We may be on the same time track.

Stephen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yea, it looks that way. I'm so backed up with work and other things... I'll bet you get it done first. :)

I do want to get the D&D slip-ons as soon as they get here.

Rev

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
About the lowering the front forks 5/8th of an inch. Does this have to do with the bikes tracking?

Thanks,
Rev
When the back end only is lowered it affects the rake and trail of the front forks, which in turn affects the steering in a bad way.

If you want to keep the handling the way it was originally designed, find a place on the bike that is level front to back before lowering the rear and then maintain that level by pulling the forks up through the top of the triple tree after lowering the back end.

It could affect the tracking if you get the forks adjusted unequally. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Legend vs tbird dogbones

So i have the Legend dogbones in my hot greasy hands and am comparing them to one of the bones of the tbird. As far as I can tell the Legend are only a 1/16" longer than the Tbird. Someone here dreaming / hoping the Legend ones are longer or ???? The ones I have are only about 2mm longer than tbird.

Tbird ones have 2059470 stamped on them and the Legend ones have 2059480. Anybody have them to compare what I have?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I made my own, dropped the back end 2 inches. Used the information I found in this or another thread.

It was a piece of cake and cost less than $5.

I tried to order the dog bones from Bike Bandit but when I checked on my order they had the 2000 TBS dog bones listed as my order. Called and was told it wa my fault and I'd have to pay 20% for restocking. I told them they never shipped the items to begin with.

Went round for round and said I'd take it up with PayPal and the NY Attorney Generals office. Not hapopy... will never do business with them again.

BTW. I have FireShot on my Foxfixe browser so I was able to take a snapshoot of the original order. I knew what I ordered.

Here's some pictures of the bike before and after... on photobucket:

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/reverendcolin/200 Triumph Thunderbird/

I'm very happy with the bike's handling now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pics

Are your pics from before lowering? The date is June so I assume they must be. The front shock doesn't look lowered in the tree either. Any of your custom dogbones?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The after pictures are with the two up seat.

The before are with the solo/cafe.

I dropped the front forks through the triple trees 11/16th of an inch.

Click on the pictures and they will blow up.

I had to send the solo seat out to "Butt Buffers" to have the gel pad installed. Did 55 miles and I wa in pain. I think the bike being so high and city traffic was a problem too.

I've got the solo back and it's on the bike now.... it's a joy to ride.

·
Registered
393 Posts
looks good reverend. I have the exact same bike and color scheme. I've put LSL clip-ons, and the CRG bar ends like you have. So this lowered my front end quite a bit which makes it handle great. I'm considering D&D pipes and also lowering the back like you have done.

How is the cornering? better? Do you ever feel like it's going to scrape?

I've always thought this bike is a bit high and top heavy. Lowering it might be a good way to go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got done lowering my 98 TBS. Made my own dog bones and raised the forks 1/2". Being able to flat foot at stops is great. Also a minor improvement in the top-heavy feeling at parking lot speeds. Unfortunately I wasn't clever enough to consider that lowering 1" would also reduce legroom by 1" Doh! I will have to log some miles and see if my lousy knees can tolerate it.

Hector

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just guessing here, but lowering the seat height by changing the dog bones will change the relationship between seat height and pegs since the riders pegs are mounted in a different area.
Maybe I am completely off base. It is not something I had even considered prior to changing the links. Although it did seem pretty obvious to me after riding it that I had less legroom.

Is this making sense?

Hector

·
Registered
11 Posts
modifying the dogbones for the rear shock nor dropping the forks through the triple trees will have any effect on the seat to foot control measurements. You aren't modifying the frame in any way.

Do you have a picture of your bike you could show?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts