Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went test-riding today after selling my old '00 trophy, and I gotta say, I love the Bonnie. It took me about a mile to get used to the radical difference in horsepower (kind of like when I traded my v8 titan truck for a scion xB), but once I got used to the difference, wow, what a fun ride.

My intent was to buy a thruxton, but after riding an '08 T100 I started re-thinking it a bit and considering one of the more standard position bikes. While I love the looks of the thrux, I also found the riding position on the T100 to be really comfortable for the type of riding I usually do.

And then I started looking at the Scrambler. My local dealer has an '08 scrambler at a really attractive price, and after all the reading I've been doing I'm seriously considering it.

One issue I had though was that with it's added hight, it was about an inch higher than I really liked. The dealer told me I could get it about an inch lower by adjusting the preload though.

My question then: has anyone done anything to lower a scrambler? I don't want it *low*, but I'd like to get my feel a little more securely on the ground if possible. One of the things I like about the Bonnie was that I could truly flat foot the bike. Will an adjust to the per-load really lower the bike a bit, or am I looking at replacing the shocks?

--Karl

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
You would need to replace the shocks and slide the forks up in the triple clamps.
Not sure with the 09s as there are different Bonnie models but up to 08 the rear shocks on a Scrambler are the same length as a Thruxton which are longer than a Bonneville.
There are lots of barely used Bonneville shocks out there because they are one of the first things people upgrade.The basis cycle parts such as frame etc are the same design so parts are fairly interchangable.
I found the Scrambler too tall for me and modified my T100 to suite my tastes. My riding style is such that I don't really notice the difference in engine characteristics caused by the different firing order. Oh, and I like the odd bit of bling.
Hope you find a ride to fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts