Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 2005 Tiger 955i, I need to lower it, what would my best option for lowering it about 1"? Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Lowering

The cheapest lowering for an ’05 or ’06 would be having the seat reshaped about 3/4 inch lower and a bit narrower. Much lower than that doesn’t leave enough foam cushion between your arse and the seat pan.

You can also drop the triple tree about a half inch down on the forks; any more than that might require shortening the side stand.

If that isn’t low enough (and you are not in a hurry) mod the suspension….

I believe lowering the ’04 and earlier Tigers only required rotating some bit on the swing arm. And lowering the ’07 and on, simply takes replacing a link in the rear suspension. But ’05 and ’06 requires changing the rear shock unit.

To get my ’06 low enough, I had Hagon make a custom shock (waiting time was about 10 weeks), which lowered the back a little over 1.5 inches. Then I dropped the triple tree down about 1 inch. And that required having the side stand shortened a bit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi

If you do a search on the site you will find plenty of posts regarding lowering the Tiger.

From my point of view I have a 2005 955i. I slid the forks through the yokes and wound off the rebound on the rear shock.

My observations of doing these adjustments are:

1. Be very careful when you put the bike on the side stand as it will be 'standing' much more vertical. Get another sidestand and have it cut down slightly.

2. Start eating your shredded wheat because it takes a fair 'pull' to get the bike onto its centre stand!

3. It will 'wallow' a fair bit when pushing it through the bends now the rebound is off and makes it a bit of a 'bouncy' ride! I have just wound my rebound back up because of this.

Other than the above I found that it did make the bike a bit easier to get my feet down and as a Mr Average height of 5' 10" it does help! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts