Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm a new member, and want to thank all of you for the great information I've found on this site. I used that information to order my brand new red '07 Sprint ST ABS! I can hardly wait to pick it up!

Anyway, I'd like to ask the group if they have any experience with aftermarket parts to lower the bike. I'm a shorter rider (5'7") and would feel more comfortable with my feet a little flatter on the ground. I've read some of the strings on this site that suggested heating and lowering the springs, or cutting them. I think both of those suggestions are bad ideas as the compromise the engineering of the spring itself. Instead, I'm hoping that there is something out there that is ENGINEERED to lower these bikes.

Thanks much! I'll let you all know how the new bike rides when I pick it up...hopefully next week.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have/had the same problem, get a few miles on it and put the hard bags on it and you will get a little more footing. I went from tips of my toes to balls of my feet. It still sucks to back up but you get use to it.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I agree with stinky. Don't make any type of adjustment for at least a few months. The bike will come down noticeably. I'm about 6 foot tall and I went from straight legged to a noticeable bend at the knees.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Agreed. I'm 5'7 or 5'8 depending on my hair. The bike was tall at first, but it came down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice, and will definitely hold off for a bit before I do anything. I didn't even think that it may 'settle' a bit.

My only problem now is that I live in Connecticut....it''ll be too cold to ride by the time the bike comes in. Oh well, I guarantee it will have the best wax job on the planet by the time next spring comes around!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I hereby proclaim MYSELF as the shortest Male rider of a Sprint ST in the USA. 5'4'..150lbs.
Send me beer...so I may arrest further gravitational assaults on my rapidly shrinking frame! :???:

·
Registered
497 Posts
The only way you're getting any beer is if you meet me to go for a ride sometime! (and of course the beer happens after the riding's done) :hammer:

·
Registered
259 Posts
On 2006-11-27 12:04, rjmatt wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm a new member, and want to thank all of you for the great information I've found on this site. I used that information to order my brand new red '07 Sprint ST ABS! I can hardly wait to pick it up!

Anyway, I'd like to ask the group if they have any experience with aftermarket parts to lower the bike. I'm a shorter rider (5'7") and would feel more comfortable with my feet a little flatter on the ground. I've read some of the strings on this site that suggested heating and lowering the springs, or cutting them. I think both of those suggestions are bad ideas as the compromise the engineering of the spring itself. Instead, I'm hoping that there is something out there that is ENGINEERED to lower these bikes.

Thanks much! I'll let you all know how the new bike rides when I pick it up...hopefully next week.
Don't knock it 'til you try it. Shortening springs to increase preload and achieve correct sag is a tried and true method of correcting mass market spring rates which are most commonly too soft. It works very well with either progressive or straight rate springs.

Getting the sag correct is what matters. Lowering your suspension to simply get it closer to the ground will adversely effect the handling. There is no re-engineering around proper sag. If you feel you need to lower the height, change the seat, not the suspension. Everyone has their own preference, but look for about 30% of the 120mm total or about 35mm static sag.

[ This message was edited by: Yimm on 2006-11-30 20:47 ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts