Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - have had two tiger 955 and do like them, but being short legged always had issues when putting feet on ground. So decided to try lowering the latest bike. Have turned the chain adjusters through 180 degress and the lowered bike is now great, can put one foot totally on floor! But whereas before getting bike on CS was not a problem now is almost impossible without assistance. Can anyone suggest how this can be made easier - should I cut the stand down, how much would you suggest?In past I had no real problems in getting on stand but off was more difficult - any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Two solutions, one cheap & cheerful:

1. Run the back wheel onto a bit of 4" x 1" before putting it on the stand. OK in the garage but a pain on the road.....

2. Cut and sleeve the centre (and prop) stand. I did this with mine after rotating the eccentrics and raising the forks. I needed to take about 25mm (1" in old money) out of the stands and found a bit of steel tubing lying round the shed that fitted nicely. As long as you cut square and prepare the joint well, MIG welding will be plenty strong enough.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Another solution: Find a friend with a new model Bonneville and learn the proper procedure for putting it on the center-stand. It takes practice and technique--not brute strength. Once you learn to put the Bonneville on the center-stand, the lowered Tiger will be a piece-of-cake.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another solution: Find a friend with a new model Bonneville and learn the proper procedure for putting it on the center-stand. It takes practice and technique--not brute strength. Once you learn to put the Bonneville on the center-stand, the lowered Tiger will be a piece-of-cake.
i agree with your point about technique but all the technique in the world will not help in the situation of the lowered tiger.

i learned the technique of putting the tiger on the cs from this forum and, yes, it's very simple......however, i then lowered the tiger (by 40mm) and i can assure you that it is downright impossible to get it on the stock cs.....i had it lowered by a guy with 30 years biking experience and we couldn't even get it on the cs with both of us trying.

solution?.....40mm off the cs and it's back as good as gold.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'm 67 years young and not nearly as strong as I sometimes think I am. I can put a lowered Tiger on the center-stand MUCH easier than I can put my stock Bonneville on the center-stand. My lowered Tiger 1050 has the rear tire 4 inches off the ground when on the center-stand. From past experience, the Tiger 1050 stock is harder to put on the center-stand than the "older model" stock Tigers, IMHO, so I would suspect the lowered "older model Tigers" would not be any harder to put on the center-stand than the lowered Tiger 1050.

If it is a big problem, any welder can shorten your center-stand, IMHO....just take it off and take it to a welder and tell him how much you need it shortened. I shortened my side-stand on my Tiger 1050 after I lowered the bike by 2 inches.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If it is a big problem, any welder can shorten your center-stand, IMHO....just take it off and take it to a welder and tell him how much you need it shortened. I shortened my side-stand on my Tiger 1050 after I lowered the bike by 2 inches.
....which is exactly what i did.:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
lowered tiger

Hi did you also lower the forks as well ? I have been told if you both or either you have to cut down the stands to make it easy and safe to put on stands.
Thx
craig:)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
For the Tiger 1050, there are lowering plates that lower the Tiger about 1.5 inches. These were first available from a German firm through the Holland Triumph dealership (Brabant Motors). With these plates, they recommend raising the front forks up in the triple clamps until the measurement is 18mm. This is supposed to return the ride to the same as the stock steering geometry. However, many have taken the 18mm number as how much to raise the forks which is not the original instructions. The place where one is supposed to measure reads 10.5--11mm STOCK, so the forks should only be raised 7 or 7.5 mm according to the original instructions. The dealer where I bought my Tiger installed the lowering plates before I took delivery of my Tiger, and the Mechanic raised the forks to where the measurement was 23 mm. I did not check this until I had already ridden many miles and was used to it, so I never changed it.

I never considered shortening the center-stand, but I shortened the side-stand before I used it in the Oklahoma wind.:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi did you also lower the forks as well ? I have been told if you both or either you have to cut down the stands to make it easy and safe to put on stands.
Thx
craig:)
yes, i did.

i haven't had the side-stand cut down, though, just the cs.....and i didn't do that until i had lowered it with a new shock.
the stands were fine when the forks were pushed through.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Short Legs!

I also removed approx 25mm from my centre stand, result, bike rises easily on to the stand now, and is still well clear of the ground. Even drilled the cap head screws and wire locked them...!
Just ensure the weld prep is good, and only trust a competent welder to weld the feet back on...!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello-when you shortened the center stand and added the steel sleeves, did you find that the stand interfered with any part of the bike when retracted?

Thanks, Peter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts