Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GT, and like all the newer motorcycles, I am on my tip tows. I would like to lower it, but don,t want to hurt the handling. Also the center and side stand would need to be shorter. Maybe a lower seat. I only need to go down about an inch, Chuck.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Lowering or reshaping the seat would be my 1st option, as this would give you the desired result without affecting the handling, or having to alter the stands
Though a lowering like is available HERE

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have a R1150RT BMW that is too tall, so I went for the BMW low seat, and its lower, but has no padding. It is only good for 100 miles or so. Makes the bike useless. Chuck

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
There are at least a couple people here who have the Triumph low seat on their GTs and are happy with it.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the OEM low seat on my 2011 Sprint, which is 3/4" lower than the stock seat, and removed the rubber bumpers under the seat for another 1/4", so the seat is 1.0" lower. At 5'6" with 30" inseam, with the stock seat i could only tip-toe, now I can almost get both balls of my feet to the ground, good enough.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An inch would be a great improvement, but again sometimes I need to cover 500+ miles in a day. Will the Triumph OEM low seat have enough padding, as I don't? Chuck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Chuck,
I was thinking of lowering my Sprint, until I read that you need to also adjust the springs and get a new side AND centre stand. Bah!

I'll just learn to live with it. I have to say, I'm much more comfortable now. But when duck walking backwards from anywhere, I get the "uh-oh" looks from other people. Other than that I've had now problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Triumph lower seat and it made absolutely no difference.
I think if your legs are so short (26.5 inch mine) the width of the seat/frame negates a lower seat.
I sent my GT 1050 to Alf Hagon: http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/ who used my weight plus weight of luggage & max weight capacity to make a custom rear shock 40mm lower than original.
Hagon reckoned that 40mm was the max safe reduction. My front forks were dropped by 40mm to equalise & prop stand was shortened by the dealer. NB; Forget trying to put machine on centre stand without running a wheel over a plank!
Handling: No idea if handling has been compromised. I dont ride it as a sports bike!
Regards; Tony

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
There's also looking at getting a custom seat, making it narrower in the front, which may help out some. I have a Corbin on my ST, and it is a bit lower and narrower at the very front. Doesn't affect the normal seating area, but when you stop you can slide forward when you put your feet down.
I know many hate Corbins, ant they are costly, esp if you end up hating it. Also my experience is with a ST, not a GT.

·
Premium Member
24,293 Posts
An inch would be a great improvement, but again sometimes I need to cover 500+ miles in a day. Will the Triumph OEM low seat have enough padding, as I don't? Chuck.
It doesn't seem to be an issue for me anyway, I don't think the padding is insufficient on the low seat.

having said that this is a very subjective topic:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts