Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will probably be buying a 2009 Bonneville t-100 in the next week or so. I like the look of the t-100, but the seat height is a bit tall for me. I'm 5'8", but my torso is long for my height, and my legs are short. The standard and SE Bonneville have lower seat heights and I think this is purely from the seat. Is this the case, and how one go about procuring a seat for one (or an aftermarket that would bring down the seat height)?

·
Registered
83 Posts
get down

A couple of routes to consider:

Corbin seats are usually a little lower, 1/2 to 1 inch. Plus, they will narrow the front (they call it a nosejob) of the seat making it easier to touch down at stop.

Buy Ikon shocks (or others) with 25 mm shorter shafts, then bring the front fork tubes up in the triple clamps about 10 mm as well. The whole bike will settle about an inch or so lower. Changing the front fork springs to progressively wound springs with a little lighter oil will also let them sag a little more but keep most of the spring rate up on compression. Contact Brent at New Bonneville and he can sell you the Ikon stuff.

Hint - make New Bonneville your default accessory place and you'll do well.

Lastly -- Just buy the bike and enjoy the hell out of your Bonnie!!!

·
29,948 Posts
Check out some of the other accessory places too - www.british-customs.com and www.triumphperformanceusa.com both sell fork lowering kits I believe.

There was a thread here a short while ago discussing this very issue - from what I read on there you shouldn't have a problem - the 09's have been lowered 1 inch, and on the other thread there were 5'4" folks who were doing OK on the non lowered bonnies. Have you tried sitting on any at a dealer to get a feel for it?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I did this for my wife's T100 (she's 5'3" and there was just no way the stock heigh was going to work for her). I used 30mm shorter Hagon Classic shocks that i bought from bellacorse in the rear, and took an electric turkey carving knife to the foam of her seat to make a slightly more scooped shape for her to sit in. That worked out well and made her happy because she actually loves the look of the stock seat and what I did didn't change the appearance much.

I never did touch the front fork tubes; she liked it the way it was. I did roll the handlebars back a tiny bit too.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
The standard and SE Bonneville have lower seat heights and I think this is purely from the seat.
That's not quite correct. The 2009 New Bonneville and New Bonneville SE have 17" front wheels. The T100 has a 19" front wheel. I think the NB and NB SE do have a slightly thinner seat, but the smaller front wheel has a great deal to do with the lower seat height. I do not know if the shocks are shorter also.

I installed 30mm shorter Hagon shocks and lowered the fork tubes an inch on my 2004 Bonneville. That made a big difference in my riding comfort.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On seconds thought...

After talking with a salesmen a bunch and some riders the seat height is fine for me. Being completely flat footed is probably not worth much effort, however the suspension options seems like a good one in general.

HOWEVER, I will not be buying a bike in the near future because the dealer can not come up with financing options (***, good credit score + low debt to income ratio= no loan). So I will be waiting 6 months to buy a bike in cash.

Thank you all for your advise.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm in agreement. I'm 5'5" on a 2001 Bonneville. I like the way Bonneville designed everything but I'm slightly on tippy toe or balancing one one leg or the other. It's just not stable, even as I get better at it.

I'm investigating lower seats and upholsterers that might modify the existing seat. I need 1-2" lower and I like the shocks and rest of my setup they way it is. Bigger boots are an option (no joke).

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I have a 29" inseam and the Corbin saddle allows me to flat foot the T-100 nicely. I do wear boots with heavy soles (Herman Survivors) which help, I'm sure.
Jim

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll take a look at the Corbin seats. They basically seem to have less foam? I also wonder how much a Massachusetts shop might charge to shave foam on my existing seat. My legs are about the same 28/ 29 inseam. I did get bigger boots. I'm also wondering about the used seat market.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I was lucky, finding my Corbin at the "Rice-O-Rama" classic Japanese meet, a couple of years, or so, back. I'd try E-Bay, etc. before going the "shaving" route......the Corbin is worth it.
Just the considered opinion of the "village idiot", that's all: Jim

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks Jim. I found one person on here that seems to do a bang up job (and under $75) shaving foam and inserting some Gel. I lowered my shocks to the lowest setting which has me nearly flat footed with the new bigger boots I wear. I'm over in the Cambridge area.

Where are these meets for cycle stuff. My dad used to have us at Model A Ford meets as a kid. It would be far cooler for me to be amidst bike debris. Are there swap meets? Triumph or Japanese. Both are cool. Also do folks do local rides?

Best,

T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts