Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iwas able to do a road test on the new Thruxton !
Very cool.
It convinced me to install lower type bars on the Bonneville.
The clip ons were a little too low . I was thinking about Norman Hyde M bars? Anybody make this change?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
lots have!

I have the low cafe bars from newbonneville.com, I like them a lot, they are quite a bit lower and wider than stock.

The M bars are about the same width as stock but much lower and more forward. Also check out the superbars the vendors have.

It really helps improve handling and with reducing wind blast.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
M bars, are the best mod I did on my Bonnie! Longest ride in a day over 600 miles and never had a problem.. Love them!

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Unless most or all of your riding is around town and under 50 mph, lower bars rule. If you look at old photos of Bonnies from the 1960s, you'll find the Euro and Brit bikes had lower bars, while those exported to the colonies had much higher bars, for the laid-back look.

For looks, probably high bars. For serious riding at speed, I'd choose lower bars, and possibly shorter ones. And my opinion is certainly open to criticism.

Bob

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Yes and Yes! I'll take a photo tomorrow from the seat, here's a side profile.

[ This message was edited by: 04blackbonnie on 2006-12-02 00:01 ]

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
They look like this

You snooze you lose ,Kieth! :-D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE. 60S BONNIE LOOK ! YOUR BIKE IS GREAT. NICE MODS. THE M BARS FLOW WITH THE LINES OF THE BIKE.
. I ASSUME THE HANDELING IS A BIT BETTER WITH THE TRANSFER OF WEIGHT ON THE FRONT END?

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Here's a picture of mine the day I brought it home last summer. It had Mbars installed on it by the dealer and was being used as a demo bike. With more than a few bikes to choose from - this one rocked me because of the low bars and pipes ... and I wanted a solid color - with silver as my preference. Kinda worked out for me. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looking back at the pic of Bonafide's silver bike, if those are truly Norman Hyde M bars, it looks like they're upside down!

Wonder if it was done that way on purpose?

Kevin

·
Registered
858 Posts
On 2006-12-24 10:38, Bonafide wrote:
Here's a picture of mine the day I brought it home last summer. It had Mbars installed on it by the dealer and was being used as a demo bike. With more than a few bikes to choose from - this one rocked me because of the low bars and pipes ... and I wanted a solid color - with silver as my preference. Kinda worked out for me. ;)
Bonafide,

Do you have more of your bars?

G

·
Registered
90 Posts
The m-bars are alot lower than the superbars and way more comfortable. I have to lean over the tank a little more to keep my arms parralell to the road and my feet get tip-toed on the stock pegs. I ride pretty aggressive and grind my pegs and sometimes my feet will slide off of the peg. i want rearsets so i won't have to worry about that anymore. plus I have the norman hyde solo seat. it is a little taller than the stock seat so it will probably be more comfortable for me.
i am 5'9", 160lbs.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
On 2006-12-25 16:47, oregonthruxton wrote:

Bonafide,

Do you have more of your bars?

G
Not as good an angle as the one I posted, but if youhave a request - I have a digtal camera, the bike is downstairs in the garage (parked next to my GF's stock Bonnie), and I can have the pic uploaded to photobucket within a minute sitting in front of the PC screen.

Here's what I got. The bars have stayed the same since I bought it. Like I said - they were installed by the dealer and the bike was used as a demo - and even if they are upside down ( :???: ) .. they work great for me. Very cool rocker look - and they are LOW when compared to a set of stock bars.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Not as good an angle as the one I posted, but if youhave a request - I have a digtal camera, the bike is downstairs in the garage (parked next to my GF's stock Bonnie), and I can have the pic uploaded to photobucket within a minute sitting in front of the PC screen.

Here's what I got. The bars have stayed the same since I bought it. Like I said - they were installed by the dealer and the bike was used as a demo - and even if they are upside down ( :???: ) .. they work great for me. Very cool rocker look - and they are LOW when compared to a set of stock bars.
Thanks Bonafide. I've been thinking about getting the M-bars and had heard of people purposely installing them upside down...I was wondering how they looked mounted that way. I likey. Your pics were a big help.

G

·
Registered
781 Posts
Has anyone got a "before & after" photo of their Bonneville which shows the stock bars vs. the NH M-Bars? I bought my bike used and I think I've got the M-Bars, but I'm not sure. The approximate specs of my bars are 28" wide x 6" deep x 3" rise.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Hope this helps. Mine is the silver one with Mbars. The black one is the GFs Bonnie with stock bars. Before I get a flurry of questions/comments that have nothing to do with the bars: My mirrors are Rizomas, Hers are VMax mirrors on stock stems, and yes I know my gas cap is backwards - that as good as it would fit with or without the shims and I like to be different. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts