Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 900 trophy has developed a misfire just off idle. Once it revs past 2000 or so it runs fine. I have done a valve adjustment, new plugs and filter. While I had the carbs off I cleaned and checked everything real well and replaced the worn fuel lines. The bike has always had a problem with the RPM,s falling very slowly when the clutch is pulled in. I doubt there is any connection between the two, but I suspect the stock coils are part of my problem. Starting to have a love-hate relationship with this English beauty. Any advise would be appreciated!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi,

First off i`d give this a try:-

If the throttle is lightly "blipped" at idle, and the rpm "hangs up" before dropping to the set idle speed, and there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1150 rpm, the mixture screws are probably too lean: try 1/2 turn out, to richen mixture.

If this doesn`t help then check the battery is in really good condition as a slightly weak one can cause havoc with the ignition circuit on the triumphs.

If not luck with either of these then it`ll be a case of replacing the coils.

Cheers, Matt :cool:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Had an America that would take for ever to de-rev when de-throttling. It was a too high idle set. Dropped the idle to just below1k and she ran fine. The trophy is set just above 1k and the revs drop off quite nicely.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bad coils

Did a coil check sun. night and found at least one bad on it's secondary! Have three new ones on the way from nology. Thanks for the help. This forum is great!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
nology coils!

Installed the nology coils today! Does'nt sound like the same bike!! Pulls strong from 1500 to 9500! No more down shifting through town. The stumble off idle is gone. Feels like a whole new relationship.... zoooom

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know what you mean. I installed 2 nology coils on my 1200 and sincronized my carbs friday. The best $150 investment I have made yet. She pulls like a train and is smooth glass. Get rid of the gill coils! You want be sorry. A++ for nology.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts