Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between Tiger 1050 or Street Triple for my first bike for a lot of years (the last one was a 2 year old Kawa GPz1100, so you can see how long ago!).

I'm only 5'9"...I can put both feet down on the Tiger (balls of my feet only), but backing into/out from parking spaces would be difficult (not that I plan on going backwards often!). I wonder how much diff the low seat option would be. The other benefits I see in the Tiger over Street Triple are better pillion position, and better for carrying my work gear/clothes when commuting.

Any comments about the Tiger's/my size, and low seat...or anything else?

Cheers, Nige

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi nigelj !! do a search on the site, i remember seein a post about a lower rear suspention link for the 1050, then you can drop the front forks at the yokes by the same amount, so the geometry stays the same !!

KK

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Nige,

Many on tiger1050.com have said the Triumph "Low Seat" for the 1050 is not any lower--but is a little narrower to allow them to get their feet down better.

There are lowering plates for the rear that replace the stock plates. With these plates, one raises the front forks about 12 mm in the triple clamps to achieve nearly the same ride as stock and this results in a 1.5 inch lowering of the bike.

I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam and the lowering plates work well for me; however, I seldom back the bike while sitting on it--I'd rather get off the bike to move it.

The Tiger is VERY top-heavy at zero speed. Once rolling, the bike feels very light. I would NOT recommend the Tiger1050 as a first bike for someone who has not ridden in a number of years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...I'm going to test ride a Tiger1050 and Street Triple in a couple of weeks time, when I get back from our holiday...have to make my mind up as the indecision is stopping me sleeping right now!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks...I'm going to test ride a Tiger1050 and Street Triple in a couple of weeks time, when I get back from our holiday...have to make my mind up as the indecision is stopping me sleeping right now!!!
After you test ride it you won't be able to sleep till you get one :D

I am not so tall at 5'10", the bike I tested had about 5k on it so the suspension had settled a little. I am much more confident with the tiger than I am with my Varadero or my mates V-Strom, if you want to try a scary top heavy bike try the Vara :eek:

Just the same I intend to put loweing plates on my 1050 adn the goto guy for these seems to be Mick, never seen a bad word written about him or the kit.

Look at this link Mick's Lowering Plates

1 - 7 of 7 Posts