Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a low rpm rattle on deceleration,...normal?.....i have yet to find another 955 to compare it to around me. When you just feather the throddle it's there, nothing as soon as it gets above 5k. I changed the oilk yesterday and cut open the filter,....nothing,and the oil was super clean,....am i just being paranoid?, or is this the nature of the beast?....

·
Registered
91 Posts
i'd like to know too, bc i have the same problem....super paranoid that it's the CAM chain hitting the block bc the tensioner's broken or if its engine knocking or bad spark plugs

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
REDNECK1, Is the rattle or knock high pitched or low pitched? Does it happen when stationary or moving or both? If when moving, what happens when you pull in the clutch and coast?

Brad

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
low end sounding rattle,...seems like it's there when you come off the throddle, or just feather it at low rpm,...under 5k

on the ride home tonight i will experement with the motion,...i looked for loose bolts, ect..anything that will rattle,..grrr, clutch rattle? or tranny gear clash?....then this is not a normal sound on this motor?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here is the best description i can give brad,..

the rattle I hear is RIGHT befor it returns to a smooth idle, clutch in , or in N......ralttle,rattle, the smooths out to an idle ,...temp is not a factor in the issue, I tryed rolling, stopped, another gear, a heavy load on the bike( another person), fast slow in the ditch, you get the idea.haha.

it's almost like something is snapping closed as it returns to idle( and makes a popping rattle),.....and has more presents on the lh side, (shifter)...than the right,..... the motor sounds so smooth it hurts then as it comes off the revs,...to idle,....

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
REDNECK1, Noise, vibration and harshness problems are some of the hardest to diagnose over the internet.

The only time my '04 had a NVH problem I'd place my hand on the clutch cover, the shifter the cam chain adjuster to find something in sync with what I heard. Short version, it was the clutch cable adjustment (not compleately disengaging) causing a rattle, but only in gear. On my '98 a NVH problem was a couple of loose front engine mounts. Sounded like it was coming from the rear, tho'.

It might be worth checking the engine mounts and the countershaft sprocket nut. Good luck.

Brad

·
Registered
311 Posts
97-01 T595/955i are quite rattly and noisy engines. Mine had 7k when I bought it and about 9k when i sold and was well maintained and sounded like a bucket of rocks too. How many miles? On a higher mileage bike I would be concerned, but for the most part thats how these bikes are. My 03 is is a smooth as silk compared to the older 955 engines.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It's probably just normal lash between the primary gears. My '06 has done it from day one, I now have 6800m on it, and I don't baby it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts