Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just on the Triumph web site and looking at accessories, and noticed there is a low rider seat for the rocket. As for all the accessories on the web site, and in the brochure, there is no information other than a name and a price. Does anybody know how much this seat lowers the rider? Is it like a rock, or is it comfortable? If this seat is any good, I could get that, and put the stock length shocks back on.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have one of those (it's couple years old but I assume it hasn't changed any) and it's not bad at all--has a gel insert inside. The lowering effect is not dramatic maybe 1.5" or so but I actually find it more comfy than the oem seat. Speaking of which, I had stock seat rebuilt by Russell Day-Long for longer trips. But I like the low rider so well I use it most of the time for 'round town and shorter trips. Haven't used the Day-Long all that much, but nice to know it's there. The low rider's good for maybe 200 miles max then it starts to be a PITA for my old butt--YMMV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. that is exactly the reply I was hoping for, from a rider with experience. If it lowers you about an inch, that is plenty to compensate for the tall shocks, which will give a better ride than the short ones.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Iwas gravitating towards getting a classic seat for the long rides and having my solo seat cusotmized for around town. I have heard the gels tend to get hot after a while, is this true?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put a gel insert in my Kawasaki 2000 seat, and rode 4 hours to my brother's house in Vermont, and never felt it was hot, or otherwise uncomfortable. That is the only gel seat I have had. I bought a gel for installing in the rocket, but found the stock seat on the rocket classic is very comfortable, more so than any other stock seat I have experienced, and I have had a lot of bikes. (over 70 so far)

·
Registered
623 Posts
On 2006-12-10 15:12, Lee wrote:
I have heard the gels tend to get hot after a while, is this true?
No doubt gel holds heat better than foam, but I've never noticed it being a problem even when the bike is left outside on a hot day.

What's in the low-rider seat is very thin since there wouldn't be room for anything thick. I don't know how much good the gel insert does (if any) but it's there--you can feel it and even see a slight outline of it in bright sunlight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts