Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Low mounted can or high mounted? Trend?

3K views 28 replies 25 participants last post by  Dobieman 
#1 ·
Was just thinking. Everybody seems to get the new low mounted cans as quick as they can nowadays. Is this a trend? A revolt against triumph? Or is the weight reduction as big as everybody say? Does this improve the handling that much? Or is it the slight increase in power that lurks beyond the horizon? :-D

Or is it mere like the tail thing..something everybody has to do now? :-D

Just curious about your thoughts on the subject...

#2 ·
I'm sorry to see so many low cans. The high cans are part of what makes the Speedy for me. Yeah I get it that the weight is moved low but I really don't think it matters THAT much compared to a pair of aftermarket high cans.

#4 ·
For me, it depends on the look. I like the Chain Reaction and Zard highs, but I also love the single Zard and Arrow lows - when and if I change the stock cans (I love the sound...stock!), I think I would prefer a single low, because (for me) it aesthetically balances out the single-sided swingarm better. I also more dig the look of the empty space above the rear tire...

My .02

#5 ·
I like the dual cans look myself. I expect this look to become more common as more and more bikes resort to using catalysts in the silencers to meet emissions standards.

I wouldn't call the low mount a fad, just different.

The low mount cans offer a weight reduction and lowering of the remaining weight. And they clean up the look of the bike in some applications. I think the Speed Triple engines want at least a short midpipe before the silencer. Some low mount kits offer this, some don't.

#6 ·
Honestly i love the dual cans, but they take away view on speedy's very well shaped short rear. I just love short asses on bikes and speedy's one is the best one yet, proportionate with the rest of the bike. Also i've always liked the GP like cans, and on speedy like that look better then the duals.

Its not like i want a low mount can because everyone has to have one now. Hate when someone thinks like that :razz:

#7 ·
When we had that Speed Triple ride on the 19th, four of the six bikes had aftermarket exhausts. Limey's was the only one with high-mount dual aftermarket cans.

Next time we go, we'll be sure to post individual shots of the bikes, to see what each owner has done.

I like the stock cans - they let me sneak up on Harleys and scare the bejeezus out of 'em :-D :-D

#8 ·
The new high mounts were one of the things that got me buying a 1050 over the smokin' deals they were offering on '04s. However, they're much better to look at than to live with. I hate the fact that I can't run saddlebags, so I'm looking at the Arrow system now. I love the look of the Zard as well, but I can't bring myself to pay half the cost of a full system for a slip on.

#11 ·
To be honest, I like the looks of both dual high mounts, and low singles. But when it came down to it for me, it had to do with money, so of course, I went with the cheaper of the two systems I liked, which was Zard and Chain Reaction. No doubt if I had the dual high mounts it would be the Chain Reactions! :-D

[ This message was edited by: cheapbastard on 2007-02-23 07:54 ]

#12 ·
Low cans are a trend - no doubt.

That does not, however, mean that they are a bad thing. What I'd like is a nice, neat undertail, like the one on the 675. That would keep the longer midpipe (and power advantages) but still let that rear wheel hang out and let you carry bags. Best of all worlds.

#13 ·
A lot of what you see offered has to do with the the MotoGP bikes and Superbikes.

A few years ago, it was all the rage to do the undertail exhaust because Ducati had that. Lately, it's been more low and short, ie Suzuki and some others.

I like any can that has performance, weight reduction and looks.

#14 ·
On 2007-02-23 06:36, trumppa wrote:
Hi,
I like the looks of the stock cans, havent seen anything better yet. They
really make the new look of S3 together with the short tail.
+1,000,000
The stock high mount cans look great. I'm not 1050 crazy, but I think high mounts are the way to go. If you have to put on something different I would go with TORs, because they're Triumph. Just my opinion though.

#15 ·
As far as lowering the centre of gravity, this is not a car where lower is better. In a motorcycle the CG does not need to be low or high, it needs to be RIGHT. With lower centre of gravity you have to lean more for the same cornering speed.

The older model S3 was "okay(ish)" but when I saw the first pics of the 1050 I dropped my eyes. The first distinctive feature was the tiny tail and dual highmount cans.

#16 ·
what's the next trend, a tuba on your exhaust pipe. Anybody remember whistles in car exhaust cans? How about blue dot LED tails lights. I want an extra spark plug mounted on the end of my exhaust cans so I can shoot flames :flam:

#17 ·
On 2007-02-23 08:17, HarriS wrote:
As far as lowering the centre of gravity, this is not a car where lower is better. In a motorcycle the CG does not need to be low or high, it needs to be RIGHT. With lower centre of gravity you have to lean more for the same cornering speed.
HarriS,
As much as I love my Speed Triple, it is not a track bike, never has been, never will be. I am not going to kid myself and think I can make it into one. There are SO many bikes that are better for this.

I understand balance. But getting some weight high off the tail has made my bike a good bit more fun. I can only imagine what a few pounds more would be like. :wink:

#22 ·
Sorry Guys.....
I know this will upset some peeps.....
as we all want differrent things from our bikes....

I really dislike the stock high cans & the silly rear pegs on the latest S3....
Not for looks reasons but,
they're a real pain if you want to add a pillion or luggage, plus the rear pillion pegs are also quite high & wide !

Me... I preferred to get one of the last ever 955i model S3's over one of the later 1050 ones...despite me preferring the 1050 motor in my ST over the 955i.

Tis just that I can justify an S3 "as well as" so long as
I can also add my lad on the back of the S3 & dissapear for a long run/weekend !
For me thats maybe 20% of my S3 time 2 up.... when I fancy a bit of S3 lunacy away from my ST !

My 05 955i S3 has a high level carbon can, decent rear pegs & occaisionally a luggage rack fitted !

Shame they don't offer a better rear pillion peg set for the 1050 S3 now the low Arrow exhaust is out !

Neil.

#23 ·
I'm blushing! Thanks to the kind words folks.

Someone said "However, they're much better to look at than to live with. I hate the fact that I can't run saddlebags"

That's only true of the stockers if you're referring to use of soft luggage. I had originally planned to put heat shields on my pipes, but found it was not necessary. I took a 1000mi trip with my Joe Rocket soft bags hanging right on the mufflers with nary a problem. Because the mufflers (mine and probably anybody else's) breath so much better, there is nowhere near the heat buildup you experience with the stockers. I can step off my bike after riding and put my hand directly on the can-I can't necessarily leave it there, but I know I won't leave any skin there either.

So don't let that one issue determine what style exhaust you choose--just choose mine.

#24 ·
The low 'style' is from the MotoGP bikes. I went with a low mount M4 carbon for $$450.-$499 & TOR tune. I did this mainly so I could run saddlebags as I also like to tour with it. I love the result. AAAAAnnnnnnd, I was amazed at how much more 'flickable' the bike was. To describe it, I would say it feels more like a 750 now than a 1000.
Try fastening on a 20-25 lb. weight on the seat and going for a ride. Then remove it. Nuf said. There 'is' a difference.
I like the dual can look also. I just needed the clearance for the bags, and am happy with the result.

#26 ·
I really like the high dual exhaust look, and as others have mentioned, that is part of the aesthetics that played into me selecting the S3 over other bikes. The only thing that would make Speedy look better is if the cans were carbon fiber, but stock cans will do for now. My first upgrade will be suspension, because the stock shock sux.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.