Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Had a Tiger 900 GT Pro for a little over two weeks and took the bike for its first 800km service yesterday. This is the first time I have had a bike with quick shift, before the service the quick shift worked seamlessly as the bike accelerated now I find that I have to relax the throttle for it to allow me to change gear. Is it better to relax the throttle between gears anyway or does it need an adjustment?

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Sounds like they messed with it. On my BMW, I the throttle must be on while quick up shifting. It doesn’t like it if I let up before quick up shifting. Conversely, throttle has to be off to quick down shift.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Based on the generic quick shifter systems- the initial movement in the gear lever cuts the spark, which unloads the transmission, allowing for a gear change.

If the OEM one works the same way then it sounds like the unit isn't picking up the initial movement before trying to change gear.

So if it's convenient I'd take it back to the dealer. Also look on the checklist if there's a gear lever or qs adjust specified

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a GT Pro and find the quickshifter pretty slick. You have to keep the throttle on while shifting up and come off the throttle a bit while shifting down.

·
Vendor
190 Posts
Backing off the throttle defeats the purpose of having the QS in the first place.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Backing off the throttle defeats the purpose of having the QS in the first place.
I think he was talking downshifts, the blipper.

I'd always assumed you had to close the throttle completely as @Dougl1000 said, but then again I've never ridden a bike with a blipper.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
As a general rule you leave the throttle open for upshifts but there is definitely a little bit of technique needed for smooth shifts across the rev range. Sometimes a very slight back off will give a smoother shift if, say, the engine is under heavy load. Mostly though it’s incredibly smooth; just needs some occasional nuancing which you learn over time.
Throttle off for down shifts, yes, but you can also down shift for situations like overtaking or just wanting a lower gear for acceleration and especially if off-road where riding is not so linear. In this case it works fine with the throttle open or backed off just a little.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
On my BMW, a smooth 2 to 3 requires around 6k rpm. I stay away from 1 to 2 but I think I’ve gotten a good one at around 7k rpm. Still on break in so I’m not doing that much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On my BMW, a smooth 2 to 3 requires around 6k rpm. I stay away from 1 to 2 but I think I’ve gotten a good one at around 7k rpm. Still on break in so I’m not doing that much.
I test rode a ducati multistrada 950S and a bmw F900xr before buying the triumph. The quickshifter on the tiger GT Pro is way slicker and smoother than the other two.

·
Vendor
190 Posts
Sometimes a very slight back off will give a smoother shift if, say, the engine is under heavy load.
The QS is meant to be used at full power. If you need to back off, your kill time is too short.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The QS is meant to be used at full power. If you need to back off, your kill time is too short.
Rubbish. The quickshifter can be used at pretty much any point in the rev range and therefore pretty much any point on the power curve. Most of the time full throttle changes are smooth but sometimes they’re not. Not so much a backing off but a slight relaxation of throttle pressure before the gear change can sometimes help make changes smoother.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts