Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my brand new Scrambler from the dealership last Saturday - already have 380 kms on it! I'm loving the bike's cruisey ride, looks and sound (I have the TORS:D).

I am concerned however, about a 'shudder' I get taking off in 1st and sometimes at low revs in 2nd - I THINK I may not be giving it enough throttle on take-off - if I ride the clutch a bit more in 1st with more fuel it doesn't happen. And if I change into 2nd at higher speed it doesn't happen either.

Should I be worried? Does it sound like I might be lugging it a bit causing the shudder? I hope I haven't broken anything. It goes fine otherwise and has excellent pull up the hills and through the twisties.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Yep, sounds like you are lugging it, although giving the machine a going over to be sure something was not left loose at the factory ain't a bad idea. Have heard tales of fasteners being only finger tight.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I thought the same thing when I bought mine, high gearing & lumpy crank. You ought to try my driveway 2up...LOL

Sounds normal

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Mine does it, too. Its a real PITA during low speed maneuvering. I did change out to a 17T countershaft sprocket (stock is 18T). That helped (made the bike more fun, too).

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Sounds like your lugging the engine. That's the worst thing you can do to a new engine. Even worse than reving too high. Try to keep the motor spinning freely, mostly above 3000rpm.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Maybe the easiest thing would be to take a ride on a different Scrambler to see if it happens no matter which bike you're on. Possibly your dealer has a demo 270 crank bike. I get a little shudder on my Scrambler but never in the low gears and I am not revving it much in those conditions. Mine shudders in the higher gears when I give it a lot of throttle at slightly too low speed (borderline lugging). So a Scrambler can lug but I'm surprised you're feeling it in first gear.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just picked up my brand new Scrambler from the dealership last Saturday - already have 380 kms on it! I'm loving the bike's cruisey ride, looks and sound (I have the TORS:D).

I am concerned however, about a 'shudder' I get taking off in 1st and sometimes at low revs in 2nd - I THINK I may not be giving it enough throttle on take-off - if I ride the clutch a bit more in 1st with more fuel it doesn't happen. And if I change into 2nd at higher speed it doesn't happen either.

Should I be worried? Does it sound like I might be lugging it a bit causing the shudder? I hope I haven't broken anything. It goes fine otherwise and has excellent pull up the hills and through the twisties.

Highly recommend you get your bike serviced by Charlie in Kensington. I have a Scrambler and its a different bike after he's set it up. See this post:

http://www.triumphrat.net/rat-australia/75558-melbourne-triumph-mechanic.html

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies

I was pretty sure the shudder was due to my lugging - can't wait for the temperature to drop below 105 degrees in Melbourne so I can go for an enjoyable ride and testy the theory!:p

Many thanks again for everyone's advice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Take-off "shuddering"

It sounds like you are experiencing what I have been calling "clutch chatter".
This occurs during the clutch engagement process when taking off in first gear, particularly at lower throttle settings.
My T100 did it somewhat with the stock (18t) sprocket, and now does it just the slightest bit more with the 19t.
Most noticeable when launching on an upgrade when riding two-up.
If there IS a "fix" for it, apart from launching as though trying to spin the rear wheel, or changing to a smaller front sprocket, I'd be happy to hear it.
I have only noticed it during the initial first gear getting underway, and not at all when engaging 2nd gear.
Bob

·
Registered
70 Posts
I get occcasional clutch shudder, too, on my '08 Scrambler (700 miles on the odo). It shudders as I am releasing the clutch through the "friction zone". Only in a gentle take off.

I'm seeing if I can deal with it via technique. If it gets worse...I'll show it to a dealer for warranty and will also start thinking about an aftermarket heavy duty clutch.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Possible Clutch issues

Thanks for that - I will raise this issue at bike's up-coming 800km service, and in the meantime try to vary my riding technique around the 'shuddering'.

Replacing the clutch with another heavy-duty variety sounds a bit drastic to me...:eek:

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
I wonder if changing the oil would have any effect on the clutch chatter? I don't know, and I haven't had the problem on my Bonneville.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's a great question. I am still running dino oil (per the dealers recommendation) until I hit 1000 miles.

Pete, since you haven't had your 800km service are you still running the break-in oil?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep - still on break-in oil. My 1st service is on February 21 - I'll give a progress report then.

cheers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was ME!

Took the Scram out this morning - gave it more at take-off and changed into 2nd at higher speed - NO 'shudder':D - I was definitely labouring the engine before, and dropping the clutch too early from take-off. Bikes going great.

Thanks for everyone's advice - I feel I LOT better now!

BTW -- THIS IS A GREAT FORUM - says something about the type of person a Triumph rider is - helpful, concerned, community-minded, passionate....need I go on...?:)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Took the Scram out this morning - gave it more at take-off and changed into 2nd at higher speed - NO 'shudder':D - I was definitely labouring the engine before, and dropping the clutch too early from take-off. Bikes going great.

Thanks for everyone's advice - I feel I LOT better now!

BTW -- THIS IS A GREAT FORUM - says something about the type of person a Triumph rider is - helpful, concerned, community-minded, passionate....need I go on...?:)
I found this at 1st as well as I expected it to pull clean from idle like my XR does....With the TOR's installed it's a different bike, 1 gear higher through roundabouts..perhaps it's all in my head & short changing cause of the noise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts