Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me bike. I simply want to know which slip on muffler will be the loudest for my otherwise stock tiger 800 xc?

I need others to hear me when they are on their phones and not paying attention. Price doesn't matter in this case.

All the you tube videos are nice and all, but different videos of the same bike and mufflers can sound drastically different.

Just heard b the Zard - holy crap. That might be it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Poorly worded maybe, but not joking. Looking for lighter and louder vs stock. And for me, the louder legally, the better.

·
Registered
661 Posts
New to me bike. I simply want to know which slip on muffler will be the loudest for my otherwise stock tiger 800 xc?

I need others to hear me when they are on their phones and not paying attention. Price doesn't matter in this case.

All the you tube videos are nice and all, but different videos of the same bike and mufflers can sound drastically different.

Just heard b the Zard - holy crap. That might be it.

Thanks.
That's either nonsense or the wrong reason.

First, the rider is the sole responsible for his own safety, not the guy on the phone. You ride according to the dangers around, don't expect the other guys to care about your own safety, and you will be safe. Because even when you are right, you are still the guy bleeding on the pavement.
Ride as if you were invisible.

Second, insanely loud exhaust just make you pass for a moron. Especially with the dark tinted visor (although I don't know if you wear that kinda visor :wink2:). Don't get me wrong, I love a nice soundtrack. So do most non-riders actually, who enjoy a great engine sound. But too loud and it becomes annoying, and just project the wrong image. I have been there, and come back to more conservative decibel levels.

Then again, it's your bike, your rules 0:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I get wanting to be heard. It does help, especially if lane splitting. But, as loud as possible? Not a great idea on a Triumph. You probably should of bought a Harley. Or a Ducati with Termi exhaust. My experience with exhaust on my Tiger was a learning experience. I bought a Yoshi exhaust. It was loud, but worse, at 4000 rpm, unbearable to ride. The sound was incredibly annoying for both me and my wife. I sold it. Bought a Leo Vince SBK exhaust, with a removable insert. I left the insert in. A little louder than stock, enjoyable sound for the triple, but not annoying to me or others nearby. Too loud just pisses people off.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Poorly worded maybe, but not joking. Looking for lighter and louder vs stock. And for me, the louder legally, the better.
If your motor vehicle state statutes are anything like Wisconsin's, unless it's equivalent or quieter than OEM, it will not be legal. Since most OEM MFR's don't state Db levels, law enforcement would have a hard time proving legality. Won't be hard with the Db insert removed. Since the slip-ons keep the catalytic converter intact, you should still be good emissions wise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't much care for the lecturers, but I appreciate the intent and info. Yes, the removable db killer was always top on my mind of options, unfortunately, that went unwritten. My bad.

Thanks and safe riding.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd be willing to bet the stock exhaust is at or very close to the limit of legal loudness. SO if you're looking for louder and legal, you're SOL. If you want louder and still not offensive to your neighbors, there's a complete spectrum of subjective opinions. In MY opinion, the loudest aftermarket slip-ons are far too freakin' loud. They will annoy your neighbors and passer's by, might annoy you eventually, and won't add significantly to your safety. Any aftermarket exhaust will usually be quite a bit lighter and always a lot louder.

My advice is to work on your roadcraft, safe riding strategies, paying attention to and avoiding potentially hazardous situations and leave your exhaust alone. Spend what you would have spent on a slip on, taking an advanced riding course or two. The end result will almost certainly be a better investment in your safety than buying a loud exhaust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Leo Vince carbon it is. Thanks for all the help. And I think 40 years of dirt, street, and dual sport riding without one series incident just might get me by. Might. LOL.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Don't much care for the lecturers, but I appreciate the intent and info. Yes, the removable db killer was always top on my mind of options, unfortunately, that went unwritten. My bad.

Thanks and safe riding.
Not a lecture, just facts and an answer to your exact words.. "And for me, the louder legally, the better." The Leo V isn't a bad choice, but might not be loud enough for you. I know/I have one and I didn't want loud..

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just remember that loud to the folks around you you're trying to alert is also loud to your ears. Even with ear plugs, long term exposure to that level of sound pressure will do damage to your hearing. Maybe you won't notice it for another 10 years but once the damage is done, it's not fixable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I assume that guy is a London MC courier. Yes, there are LOADS of pedestrians who don't follow the rules. Must be very frustrating but that guy seems to just enjoy being a dick! His bike is clearly way too loud to get the reaction it does.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
I assume that guy is a London MC courier. Yes, there are LOADS of pedestrians who don't follow the rules. Must be very frustrating but that guy seems to just enjoy being a dick! His bike is clearly way too loud to get the reaction it does.
I thought the video was hilarious... Regardless of how loud his motorcycle might be, I found it amazing how freakin stupid those pedestrians were.

I have had encounters with pedestrians here in the city, but not to the extent of stupidity displayed by some of those pedestrians... :rofl

Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts