Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a loud whirring noise, resembling tractor trailer tire noise, that is speed dependent, that seems to have recently developed since having the rear wheel off it and it is escalating.

It's obvious at all speeds above 10 mph but at 60 mph and above, it's very loud and noticeable above the wind going past the windscreen.

The best I can pinpoint it, it seems to be from the drive chain on the upper rubbing block near the front rider's footpeg. I imagine it could be at the front sprocket, but for the moment it seems at the block. I am sure of the general area as I ran it on the centerstand and chopped the clutch and ignition to isolate it.

The top rubbing block has a double groove cut into it on both sides of the center ridge, maybe a bit under 1/16" inch deep. I say double groove as it's like the chain has run in 2 different alignments on the wear block, making two separate grooves. The center of the block is higher ridge, which makes sense as the sideplates of the chain stick down farther. I don't know if the block was flat across the top at one time or not.

All components have about 6000 miles on them.

This is definitely a new noise.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Have you checked your sprockets? I had a similar noise on my old kawasaki and found that the front sprocket was worn but only really visible on the inside. Doesn't sound like you have many miles on yours, but maybe an alignment problem. Just a guess.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked your sprockets? I had a similar noise on my old kawasaki and found that the front sprocket was worn but only really visible on the inside. Doesn't sound like you have many miles on yours, but maybe an alignment problem. Just a guess.
That's a next step.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
rubbing strip could be worn through - mine was under 10k also check the chain isnt too tight / too loose - also check rear wheel alignment

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rubbing strip could be worn through - mine was under 10k also check the chain isnt too tight / too loose - also check rear wheel alignment
From what I can see the strip is gouged but not near through, maybe 1/4, but I'll loosen up the chain and look over the entire thing.

The wheel is as aligned as possible using the swingarm makes, but that is pretty crude.

Thought I'd take a look at the front sprocket to make sure it's tight and not showing signs of movement.

I had the chain where I thought it a bit loose, then a bit tight and the same noise prevails.

·
Registered
590 Posts
No you dont have to remove the swingarm, its quite easy if you unbolt the subframe near the block and jam something in between to slip the chain guide out. Piece of piss really

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I'd say you may have adjusted your chain too tightly. That whirring noise could be coming from the engine output shaft bearing. It is common to hear something like this if the chain is too tight!

Make sure you have the proper slack in your chain!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd say you may have adjusted your chain too tightly. That whirring noise could be coming from the engine output shaft bearing. It is common to hear something like this if the chain is too tight!
Wow.
I wonder where to find someone in the northeast capable of dealing with that bearing if it is at issue.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have just noticed a couple of tight spots in the chasin where it is much more resistant to being moved up and down than on the remainder of the chain.
Is that normal?
Would that generate noise?

I have also noticed that when I spin the rear tire with the bike on the centerstand, the bottom chain run seems to change vertical position, moving up and down, relative to the rear edge of the bottom wear block as the chain travels. It seems to be moving smoothly, but moves up and down as if the tension changes.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I have just noticed a couple of tight spots in the chasin where it is much more resistant to being moved up and down than on the remainder of the chain.
Is that normal?
Would that generate noise?

I ahve also noticed that when I spin the rear tire with the bike on the centerstand, the bottom chain run seems to change vertical position, moving up and down, relative to the rear edge of the bottom wear block as the chain travels. It seems to be moving smoothly, but moves up and down as if the tension changes.
What you are seeing is normal - the chain will have tighter and looser spots. Make sure when you adjust the chain you do it on a tight (actually the tightest) spot.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only issue you need to deal with is proper chain adjustment - that is, if you do it soon!
Adjusted and readjusted.
That's not it.

The wheel and chain alignment is right on when checked by a long straightedge crossing the tire and down the chain.

Going to change the oddly worn wear strip and check inside the sprocket cover next.

Maybe a chain replacement as next to last resort.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got in there to take some stuff off.
Pictures of the wearstrip thats worn more than expected.
A few pictures shown, old vs new:

I think the grooves in the wearstrip may have caused misalignment of the chain on the front sprocket because the sprocket had some wear on only the outside that could be seen and felt.

The chain appears to have more lateral slop at each link than I'd like.
The links can be moved laterally while bending the chain sideways to so that the ends of the adjacent sideplates seem to just touch.

Hopefully these are the cause of the noise.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't think the rubber strip is the cause of the noise. I replaced one far more worn than that and there was no odd noises. Looking at the pic with the screw driver in under the chain, which looks like it pushes up only two links, make me think your chain is way too tight. I think it more likely alignment and the chain is off to one side rubbing on the sprocket. Chain too tight will amplify the noise.:confused:
Will be interested to see what you find. I am not happy with the wear on the rubber strip on mine since I changed it. May look at a bigger front sprocket.
cheers
Murray

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking at the pic with the screw driver in under the chain, which looks like it pushes up only two links, make me think your chain is way too tight.
Murray
Remember that the screwdriver is right near the front sprocket do the chain isn't going to lift much there.
There was a bit more movement there that wasn't taken up.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Beemie, hope your making some progress.
I must say I was a bit annoyed to find that T birds seem to have an inherant problem with wearing away the rubber guide so easily. Mine is as worn as your old one and it has not been on that long at all. :(
I have adjusted preload on the suspension etc but may need to upgrade the shock. Only had the bike 4 months and love it. Am confident I will get it sorted. I read somewhere about bigger front socket so that will be something I try. Tried differant chain tensions but still wearing fast. Have a new x ring chain.
Anyway am interested in what you find and how well your new rubber lasts. I want to get mine right also.
cheers
Murray

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Beemie, hope your making some progress.
Murray
Awaiting a new sprocket that seems a little late but I'll let you know if the combination of wear strip, sprockets and chain solve it. Unfortunately I won't know which as I'm loading the whole deal at once.

There was only wear on the outer face of the front sprocket and it is deep enough to feel.

Finding the wear strip was a challenge as they were on indefinite backorder from Triumph. I had to just start calling dealers.

You'd think they'd take a clue from the vintage bike parts business and keep a reasonable flow of parts for the Birds.

Funny how companies cry about recession but don't adjust their plan to suit the market. Chevy's Camaro is a case in point; I heard on the news that they were sold out......So move the effort over make more! Or go bankrupt, take a choice.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Looking at the pic with the screw driver in under the chain, which looks like it pushes up only two links, make me think your chain is way too tight. Chain too tight will amplify the noise

Murray
I am with you on that still, Mur. Have heard this whirring noise from a tight chain many times...

So, how is it sorting out, Beem?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts