Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking of my new bike.

Triple: great for city driving but no winshield so it limits where I can go with it.

Sprint: Touring, small size so it should handle the streets well but I don't like aggresive riding positions. But the new Sprint has rased bars and better sitting postions.

Rocket III: Lots of power, easy sitting positions, eats up the road. But it's large and riding styles will have to change. No fast cornering.

What it comes down to is I can really only have one bike. I rode my bonneville for 10 months and put 10500 miles on it. So I love to ride. I'm 5'11" and 200 pounds. I've sat on everyone ot the bike above.

I like them all but which one is going to give me that all around ride I want.

The only short coming to the bonneville was a llittle slow for high way travel. The rocket and sprint can handle the super slaps highways just fine. The inner city driving the sprint and the triple are kings but the rocket is a cruiser and should do well in the city as well.

So what's the bike for me. I have a few weeks to mend before I need to pick a new bike.

Triple is just Fun, Rocket makes you feel like a king and is really sits well. The Sprint is design for the open road and small enough for the city.

Three great choices but only enough cash for one, so I'm looking for some wisdom.

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Hi anglen,
welcome friend.

For the record I'm a smigen under 5'10" and weigh 220lbs and my Sprint ST '04 model suits me fine. It fits like a glove.

I have done 30.000kms in 18 months just on weekends and am extremely happy with it.

I'll let guys with the 1050 models blab on about them though.

Good hunting.

Cheers,
Davem :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-11-20 03:23, DaveM wrote:
I'll let guys with the 1050 models blab on about them though.
Hey that's me Dave :)

Hi anglen. I understand your dilemma. The ideal is a bike for each day of the week. The reality is 1 bike for commuting, scratching and touring!

The S3 is a hooligan bike (in a good sense) but not great for pillions or touring. The 1050 motor is a gem. It has 5 more hp than the Sprint in a bike that weighs 15kg (33pnd) less and a shorter wheelbase. Woo hoo - mad.

The Sprint is a little more sane. It is a great overall package. The 1050triple has linear power (and torque) from 3000 to 10000 RPM. You can do mountain twisties in 2nd or 3rd for mile after mile using engine braking equal to a twin and without changing gear just use the rev range. It will tour anywhere (inc gravel roads but not off road), and is a fine commuter. I've racked up over 25000Km in the last 11 months. It's a lot like the old ZX1100 but about 25KG lighter and better handling. Don't worry about the riding position. I'm 5'10" and about 230lb and was riding a TDM (very upright position) before the Sprint. For the first month the riding position seemed extreme. Now I'm totally used to it and even Blackbirds and SV1000S don't feel very aggressive seating compared to the Sprint. I've done 1200km days and 100-200k city commutes and the Sprint is very comfortable. There's alot of talk about gel seats, Corbin or Sargeant seats. Personally I think the 1050 ST has the most comfortable OEM seat of any bike I've owned.

The Rocket, well it does everything well, but is a heavy cruiser so needs to be ridden with the requisite amount of respect in the twisties :)

Whatever you get, ride it and enjoy it!
Russ

·
Registered
42 Posts
What Russ said!!! + 1

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi anglen,

Like you, I loved my Bonneville, but it just didn't have enough top end for long highway runs. I bought a 2005 Sprint ST to replace the Bonnie and I have never regretted my decision. Once you test ride a Sprint, you'll know why I'm always grinning under my full face helmet :-D
I ride my Sprint almost every day and I have to say I enjoy it more every time I crank it up. However, if you are concerned about the seating position of the Sprint, you may want to consider a Tiger.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was going to buy a new Bonneville, but I made the mistake of riding a Sprint ST on the same day.

Although I ended up with an older Sprint, I would say that whether you ride either the old model, or the new model, you will not want to ride anything else :cool:

I am so happy with mine. The biggest problem is hanging on to my licence!

·
Registered
929 Posts
5'8" on a good hair day.
fits great when my feet are on the pegs!

love the power and sheer confidence this bike brings.

I rode a 06 bonnie and its is a different ride altogether.
its about retro and class... and while looking cooler than any harley any day of the week.
its not about going fast...
perhaps more like sipping a fine scotch.
I loved it. if I could own 2-3 bikes it would be in my stable.

but if you are into power handling all in a classy beautiful package. and a bike that holds its own in the real world.

look no further.

p.s this bike is closer to a shot of quality tequila. :wink:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the news the bike is a total with 4,000 in parts and that didn't include labor to fix the bonnie so thats now a really fun memory.

Well I spent hours sitting and talking shop about triumphs with Jim Howell at Arlen Ness Daytona the new Triumph shop in Daytona. And I must of sat on evey bike 12 times at lease. With my age 49 and my ribs giving me some mending pain it wasn't easy. The triple was love but I'm afraid it's just too much for my only bike. I fell in love with the Rocket III Classic which is strange since I'm not a cruiser rider at all. But that bike is just heaven. But I live on earth, maybe if I come into some big money I'll rush out and get one day. Because it is too cool. But has a talk about taking a tour and without bags and the windshield tipping 5oo dollars and with everything included the price was 18,000 ball park. I really couldn't go there. So I'm planing on the Sprint ABS blue with some bar extenders to help me though my healing stage and make the ride easy for a young man. I try sitting on the tiger but it just came down to being to tall of a bike to love. And with the power, comfort and design the Sprint just kept calling be back again. But the Rocket is something I hope to own some day. The ballpark price with everything tag and the half dozen charges adding onto to the base price is about 14 for the 07 Sprint ABS. So tomorrow I'll be looking for a good rate on a loan.

Thanks all who responded and if you have some advice for a new owner on what to buy and what to avoid I would love to hear about it.

[ This message was edited by: anglen on 2006-11-22 04:41 ]

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have both a Sprint & a bonnie. It's true they are good in different ways and it's a diferent type of fun on each, but if you want to do everything - town and distances - on it go for the Sprint.

What Russ said says it all - no point trying to add anything to that !!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the holidays I guess monday or tuesday will be the as soon as I can do it. I'm asking the insurance company to sell me my total bonne because I think I can fix it up. Most of the damage is gastank lights fender and slipon pipes with a right missing peg. Sounds like I can fix that myself and maybe have the best of both worlds.

Heres to hoping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts