Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my T120 for about a year now and I’m a new rider as well. When I first got the bike, if I opened her up it felt like I was going to fall off the bike. Now, I can go through all the gears with the throttle wide open and she definitely gets up and goes, but it doesn’t feel to get away from me like I remember. I have to hug the tank with my legs but I can go full throttle no problem. Did my bike somehow lose horsepower, or did I simply get used to the bike? I seem to be riding it a lot more aggressive than I used to and I don’t feel like my arms are going to get ripped out of their sockets. Same fuel and everything as last year. Chain slack is good and I’ve got about 3k miles on the clock.

Any ideas?

Edit: sorry for the title. It’s a T120. Dang phone....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
You got used to it. Heck, my brand new Z900RS feels nowhere near the rush I got during the test ride 3 weeks ago. I’m sure at 520miles, it has not lost HP.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You got used to it.

Same with my '16 air cooled T100. I did a TTP tune/bafflectomy/exhaust but didn't notice anything different.

That said, I do want the T120 for more torque, but what if I got used to that too? lol. I remember test riding a Honda CB1100 and I had that gut-sink feeling - that's what I want.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just don’t remember ever being able to have the throttle all the way open before. Is that doable on the T120?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just don’t remember ever being able to have the throttle all the way open before. Is that doable on the T120?

It's doable, WFO gets easier as you get more familiar with the bike. Except my son's Hayabusa - that thing still scares me when the front wheel comes up in 3rd or 4th, but it's fun>:)

But he calls my Ducati dial a wheelie, dial the grip it goes up.

·
Banned
1,207 Posts

None of these bikes are very powerful... you can do wide open throttle on any of them. My Street Cup makes less than 1/3 of what my Aprilia does at the wheel. No joke, it's down almost 120hp from that bike...

The 1200's have a bit more poke, but still don't make more than what at the wheel? 75hp? That's nothing in today's world where many literbikes are breaking the 200hp at the wheel barrier....

·
Registered
914 Posts
97hp for the Speed and the Thrux I believe.

I thought the same thing about my Speed but I definitely got used to it. I was lifting the front wheel on every launch but now I have it under control. I did swap the front sprocket which helped get it under a bit more control, but it still doesn’t feel as powerful (800 miles in) as it did the day I brought it home.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I can remember when I first started riding that I thought a '66 or '67 Triumph 650 was so incredibly fast that probably only professional racers could open the throttle all the way for more than a few seconds at a time. If I were to ride one now I would probably wonder how I once considered this machine to be considered to be even marginally fast! It is all a matter of your perspective which, as you have found, constantly changes.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The only bikes that scare you every time, forever, are those rare few that make you change your shorts every ride.

Either with raw power or with evil handling every ride they remind you of what Clint Eastwood said..."a man's got to know his limitations" and "do you feel lucky?".

All the others evolve into a symbiotic relationship with their riders and you both just ride and enjoy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts