Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While installing a rear hugger on the STripleR, allen key slipped, and 'disappeared.' Spotted it just barely sticking up in the gap behind the front end of the swing arm, then proceeded to push it fully into the gap . :censored:
Definitely a dim dumb-arse ham-fisted moment. Like mittens, maybe I should attach string to my tools....

I see a couple of breather tubes that pass through that gap, so hopefully I can fishout the key with a wire and some friendly flashlight help.

Greg.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have had the little bugger get lost so many times before as well. It's mounting spot is a joke (falls out all the time). I just tossed it anyway as I now have a mountain bike "multi-tool" in there. I highly recommend one of those. That way you'll have your phillips/standard, some box style wrenches, and multiple allen keys all held together. I believe the factory allen is a metric #6? or is it 8? ...either way...with a bike multi-tool you'll have all of them (even the smaller ones for less common allen #'s. For a general purpose tool (such as one to throw in your pack) I'd recommend a GERBER "military issue" multi-tool. For bike specific carry I'd recommend checking out CRANK BROTHERS, or PARK TOOLS.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Several years ago, I was riding my Rocket III thru WV.

I stopped for fuel/rest break.

After topping off the tank, I went to put the key back in the ignition and dropped it.

The damn thing seemed to disappear from this dimension and of course, I didn't have a spare with me.

I finally pushed it out of the way went in and took a leak and got a drink.

I was about to start disassembling the damn thing when I got just the right angle and saw a piece of it balanced up and under the radiator.

I Always carry a spare key now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts