Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I’d start a new thread on this topic since the only one I could find was started in 2010 with the latest posting being close to a couple years old...

I’m planning on getting my bike (T120) by the end of the year (moving back to So Cal from Denmark this summer) and am hoping to get some advice.

I looked at Doug Douglas who was recommended and they are still in business (and is about 1:20 from where I will be living in Lancaster).

Newport is farther at 2:07, but has the most recent good reviews I can find, and Del Amo Motorsports in Long Beach isn’t that far from them.

Simi Valley Cycles would without a doubt be the closest and most convenient for me (only about a half hour away) but I haven’t been able to find any recommendations for them (and a couple less than stellar reviews on google, but they are pretty old).

I’d say for me, good competent service after the sale is more important to me than the final price of the bike, but the best of both worlds wouldn’t hurt.

I am also trying to figure out when the best time to buy is. Not sure if I will be patient enough for possible end of year sales. Don’t know when the 2019 models come out (with the possibility of getting a better price on a 2018).

If I could manage to get one for around retail out the door and a discount on accessories purchased with the bike I’d probably be very happy (have read there isn’t much margin on new bikes)... Will be needling riding gear for my daughter and I and whatever else I can afford from day one (thinking installed cruise control and bar end mirrors at least).

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure what happened the first time I searched, but the second time around I found mostly good reviews of SVC... So will most likely look there first and see if they have what I’m looking for when I get closer to being ready to buy...

Simi Valley Cycles reviews

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hej - during my short-lived time as an Angelino (about the same amount of time I was a Copenhagener), I really grew to like the crew at Pro Italia. As a new customer, they treated me like a long-time client.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks.

Yeah, I was going to look into them and found out they weren’t a dealer any more. I found a guy on YouTube called Sidestand that did some videos riding the canyons of LA on his T120 (that got me even more pumped for coming back and getting back to riding again). He bought his there and stopped in to get it serviced in one video (he had much love and praise for the bike but he sold it and got a BMW).

I grew up in LA (around No Hollywood/Burbank/Glendale) and have lived in Denmark for 22 years. as much as I love the country and the people I have met here, I find the homeland drawing me back (got divorced from my Danish wife of 26 years a couple of years ago, daughter wants to go to HS in Ca, MISS my family etc etc.).

Anyway, I will probably drive around to a few different dealers and see what works out. Maybe I can still get it serviced at Pro Italia after the warrantee period (but would really like to find one place with both good sales and good after service combined).

·
Registered
455 Posts
Del Amo Motorsports / Long Beach

I just bought my T120 there. I paid MSRP and they gave me 10-15% off gloves, jacket and helmet. I just added this to my total owed. I’m typically one who tries to avoid dealerships/service depts. if possible...
This bike is ..... real nice !!!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info and congrats on your new T120 :)... I think I am just going to have to go around to the three or four dealers in my OP and see what works out best, what feels right, though closer to home would be nice.

I somehow have a feeling there won’t be a huge difference price wise, (unless I get lucky with a sale or something like that) so will really come down to how I’m treated.

Can’t wait to get over and get a test ride!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks for the info and congrats on your new T120 :)... I think I am just going to have to go around to the three or four dealers in my OP and see what works out best, what feels right, though closer to home would be nice.

I somehow have a feeling there won’t be a huge difference price wise, (unless I get lucky with a sale or something like that) so will really come down to how I’m treated.

Can’t wait to get over and get a test ride!
I agree with you on pricing. I’d guess their profit margin isn’t that great on bikes. They’ll try to get you on P&A and in the “finance room” on extended “whatever”. I do realize that these are retail businesses, but I don’t endorse particular sales “tactics” that are sometimes employed. Example, when I initially asked the sales dude, What does “ADM” stand for on the sticker? I don’t remember his exact answer but it wasn’t “Additional Dealer Markup”!!! On a subsequent visit I called him on it, and he asked me to keep my voice down! This is the kind of BS that I get tired of.....good luck on your move, that’s a long way away!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought mine from the dealer in Brea. It was a leftover and think I got a pretty good deal. They seem to have a lot of leftovers all the time. Try craigslist in la, oc, inland empire. Dealers put deals on there all the time and you can see current deals from a variety of dealers. I live in Anaheim and get service at Mickey Cohen in Placentia. Very happy with him. Significantly less than dealer and it is where Triumph has its west coast press fleet. If Triumph trusts him with making sure their bikes are perfect for vloggers ect I do also. Send me a PM with any questions.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies :)... Thanks Tahtye for the well wishes (yeah it is a LONG way, also part of why I need/want to move back).

Thanks Billanaheim for the tips on Graigslist and Mickey Cohen. I’m pretty swamped getting ready for the move back but will PM you when I’m a little closer to actually buying.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just like Billanaheim I got my bike in Brea at So Cal Motorcycles a few weeks ago and got an incredible deal on a 2017 Scrambler (air cooled). Jay in the sales department was very helpful with the whole process and I have to say that every department I dealt with was great, from parts to technical questions with the service department. Good luck on your return to So Cal, keep us updated on your progress.

Mr.Mushman

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thought I’d start a new thread on this topic since the only one I could find was started in 2010 with the latest posting being close to a couple years old...

I’m planning on getting my bike (T120) by the end of the year (moving back to So Cal from Denmark this summer) and am hoping to get some advice.

I looked at Doug Douglas who was recommended and they are still in business (and is about 1:20 from where I will be living in Lancaster).

Newport is farther at 2:07, but has the most recent good reviews I can find, and Del Amo Motorsports in Long Beach isn’t that far from them.

Simi Valley Cycles would without a doubt be the closest and most convenient for me (only about a half hour away) but I haven’t been able to find any recommendations for them (and a couple less than stellar reviews on google, but they are pretty old).

I’d say for me, good competent service after the sale is more important to me than the final price of the bike, but the best of both worlds wouldn’t hurt.

I am also trying to figure out when the best time to buy is. Not sure if I will be patient enough for possible end of year sales. Don’t know when the 2019 models come out (with the possibility of getting a better price on a 2018).

If I could manage to get one for around retail out the door and a discount on accessories purchased with the bike I’d probably be very happy (have read there isn’t much margin on new bikes)... Will be needling riding gear for my daughter and I and whatever else I can afford from day one (thinking installed cruise control and bar end mirrors at least).

I bought my 2017 T100 this past December 19, at LA Cycle Sports near LAX. I had been pricing bikes for a couple weeks prior so I knew a good deal. This dealership gave me more of a deal than I suspected(an additional 1k off the best deal) I would say that waiting for that lonely sales week before Xmas could be the ticket. I have traveled to three of the dealerships in LA proper. I had a 500 mile service at Simi Valley ... a smaller dealership than the rest but really nice folks. Del Amo Motorsports of Long Beach had a great inventory. I used Cycle Trader to shop prices. All the LA dealers advertise on that site. You can make filters to narrow down the exact bike/ model/ year. I’ll try to give you a link that has filters(good luck on the search and the move!):

https://www.cycletrader.com/BONNEVILLE-T120-Triumph-Motorcycles/motorcycles-for-sale?type=motorcycle|356953&make=triumph|2321036&model=BONNEVILLE|764861961&trim=T120|40784&condition=N&year=2017:2018&lat=34.175233209621595&long=-118.41998602816719&radius=150&sort=price:asc&page=1&

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks LA-Liquid and Mr. Mushman, Congrats to you both on your new rides.

This will all be a big help when the time comes. Will most deffinately keep you all posted :smile2:

Yeah, getting down to the wire with the move... only sending a couple pieces of furniture, my speakers and a bunch of personal stuff, but still a lot to do in a rapidly decreasing amount of time.

I can’t wait to get back but am going to miss the old Europe kind of stuff... a lot. Just got home from five days in Krakow as Auschwitz/Birkenau was on my bucket list and figured may be my last chance to visit the city. Also saw Wawel Castle (had an impressive mid evil weapons collection) and the Wieliczka salt mine (almost skipped it but glad I didn’t). A must see if in the area.

But cruising So Cal (again) on my new Bonnie is going to be a renewed high for me! Living in Denmark has been great, but, (and I feel the high taxes are justified in most cases), the automotive taxes were just prohibitively high at 180% of the purchase price, after the 25% VAT is added of course (a new T120 cost about $32,000:|).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks LA-Liquid and Mr. Mushman, Congrats to you both on your new rides.

This will all be a big help when the time comes. Will most deffinately keep you all posted :smile2:

Yeah, getting down to the wire with the move... only sending a couple pieces of furniture, my speakers and a bunch of personal stuff, but still a lot to do in a rapidly decreasing amount of time.

I can’t wait to get back but am going to miss the old Europe kind of stuff... a lot. Just got home from five days in Krakow as Auschwitz/Birkenau was on my bucket list and figured may be my last chance to visit the city. Also saw Wawel Castle (had an impressive mid evil weapons collection) and the Wieliczka salt mine (almost skipped it but glad I didn’t). A must see if in the area.

But cruising So Cal (again) on my new Bonnie is going to be a renewed high for me! Living in Denmark has been great, but, (and I feel the high taxes are justified in most cases), the automotive taxes were just prohibitively high at 180% of the purchase price, after the 25% VAT is added of course (a new T120 cost about $32,000:|).

Looks like Denmark does not want anyone to buy cars and motorcycles🤨

Getting some new wheels will be the icing on the cake once you get settled in. I’ll keep an eye out for your post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I made it back and am in So Call for good again :)...

Got my license squared away... Showed them my expired C/M1 license from 96’ and the dmv person said it’s a renewal so two written test later I was good to go 😁

Went out to Simi Valley and looked a little, mostly nice staff. But was just in Vegas for a week and did a test ride at Eurocycle... they were all super nice and helpful and I am actually considering buying there. It is 3.5 hours away vs about two but I have family in Henderson so could make better use of my time when the bike needs service and what not.

One thing I am uncertain about is registration. I obviously need Ca plates but how does all that get worked out if I buy in another state?

Got my first accessory while I was there... a brown Triumph leather jacket on sale for half price (now I have to get the bike) :wink2:. My daughter was going to make me wear it in 110 degree heat (should have never told her you dress for the crash not the ride)... but luckily they had a mesh jacket I could borrow.

Anyway, I’m a little bit closer to my goal... absolutely can’t wait.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I just bought my T120 there. I paid MSRP and they gave me 10-15% off gloves, jacket and helmet. I just added this to my total owed. I’m typically one who tries to avoid dealerships/service depts. if possible...
This bike is ..... real nice !!!
I kind of dropped the idea of buying in Vegas... too complicated and I wrote twice for a price and never heard back.

So I went to Del Amo and have to admit I was shocked at how high the price was with all the extras tacked on (just the bike no upgrades or gear)... Really nice people though.

I sent a mail today and offered 12k cash which is right around MSRP minus all the taxes and fees. I didn’t get a response yet but the person I wrote to could be off (since they are open 7 days) so I will call tomorrow if I don’t hear anything by noon.

I also saw a nice gloss black with only 600 miles used but I really want the graphite black so hope Del Amo excepts my offer.

Edit: Picking up my new T120 tomorrow in Long Beach :wink2::grin2:. Didn’t quite get down to msrp, but close enough (I’m a friggen terrible negotiater). Finally going to officially be a part of the Triumph family :smile2:

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Just a little update:

Newport Ducati-Triumph is no longer a Triumph dealer. The new Triumph dealer in this neck of the woods is OC Motorcycles which is now a Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta, and Triumph dealership. Great bunch of people and plenty of Triumphs in stock.

Pete

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Hey ! Welcome home. So. Cal is changing a lot. I have been here all my life. Too many people moving in [that has been California's problem for decades]. I use Douglas [It is no longer DOUG Douglas. Doug retire a few years back]. Probably the easiest to acess from Lancaster. They have always treated us well. It is the closest for me as I am in the Victor Valley area. ...J.D.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts