Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This all started when a buddy was ridiculing me about my vast collection of spares. If you've read my blackout thread you'll remember that I was worried about permanently screwing up something while I was powder coating or anodizing it.

So I bought secondhand parts on ebay (and even a few brand new ones from MADSS), and powder coated those. I kept all the original parts lovingly wrapped in tissue paper and bubble wrap. None of them had done more than 4000 miles.

My buddy said: "You should buy a totaled bike, you could get a completely demolished bike back to brand new with all those spares"

I had to agree with him, all that inventory was taking up way too much space. I didn't screw anything up while I was anodizing it, and putting it back to original so I could sell it is kind-of moot because, well, I don't want to sell it.

I decided to try and buy a totaled bike. I'd been trawling ebay, Craigslist, and a few salvage sites since last summer without any luck. Then one appeared out of the blue, and I snapped it up.

So here she is, my 'lightly used' 2006. If it's okay with you guys I'll document the rebuild on here: I really enjoyed the interaction, help and advice during my blackup thread, here's hoping we can get this thing running between us.

Like I said, I've got most of the things I need to resurrect it - the only thing I don't have is time. I'm still really busy at work, and I'm working on an ambitious remodel at home. In fact, Lady Flashheart has banned me from working on the bike until I've finished said remodel. This could take some time....

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a few more pics of the damage. It looks like it cartwheeled end over end - the OEM T-handle took a hit and tore the welded mounting plate straight off the subframe.

The impact bent the last few inches of the LH subframe rail downwards which, in turn, broke the side panel.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stator cover is holed. I want to fill it with engine oil for obvious reasons, so I needed a spare. I couldn't find one on ebay or at my local breaker, so I ordered a new one on MADSS. I got a concession from Lady Flashheart after persuading her that it could ruin the engine if it sat in the garage without oil.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The other thing I wanted to do right away was to get coolant in it. The radiator was pretty badly bent, it took a big hit. The impact peeled back one of the side covers, and pulled out one of threaded inserts that was holding it in place. Also, the top bracket had been wrenched off.

A friend who builds hotrods recommended Seattle Radiator Works, so I took it in for a consultation. I thought it was in bad shape, but the guy said it would be easy to fix. He said "In the summer during the ATV crashing season I get ten or twelve a week in here that have been wrapped around a tree. On a difficulty scale of one to ten those are tens, this is a one or a two".

I left it with him, I'll report back.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally, here are the first two parts I've fitted on the bike. The first one was the frame insert so I can pick the bike up with my Motomfg stand. I just called Greg and slapped it on the credit card. It was $19, he didn't charge me for shipping because I got it through the group buy. Nice!

The second part I fitted was the LH footpeg and gear lever so I could put it in gear and stop it from rolling around while maneuvering the stand in place. It's a pain in the arse not having a front brake lever. I might have to sneak that on one evening.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...subscribed. Oh...and I dare you to make this bike all white. :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Well, that's the basic plan. When I bought my original S3 back in 2008 they were closing out the 2007s to make room in the showroom for the brand new 2008s (the first year with the black forks and Brembo brakes). It was a screaming deal, but all the black ones got sold right away, leaving hundreds of unsold Roulette Green '07s.

Triumph had so much inventory that they had a limited time deal: If you bought a green bike they would send you a complete set of black bodywork free of charge.

So I made an appointment, went down with cash in hand only to find that they were all sold out of green bikes. The only one they had left was in white, and that didn't have the free bodywork deal. I walked out of the showroom on principal (because it felt like a clear case of bait-and-switch).

Three days later they called and said that Triumph had extended the deal to white bikes too, so I went back and bought the bike. True to their word, the black bodywork arrived just a week or so later.

So I swapped them over, put the white parts back in the packaging that the black stuff had arrived in, and put it in storage until now. That was in May or June of 2008, the parts haven't seen the light of day since then. If I remember rightly they have about 400 miles on them, so they should look like new.

It took me a while to find this, but here's my 2007 in white, and the black parts waiting to be installed.

Link to surplus bodywork thread

P.S. The white bodywork does have decals, they're just bleached out in the pic

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
Also subscribed. :)
I saw the pics in the pictures only thread titled" totaled" with Lord Flashhearts name on it. Thought NOoooo! Till the last pic with both bikes.

If I recall you ride in a white " power ranger " riding gear . This will be an interesting look.

Chrome bolts and white powder coat on everything else.
Then make white smoke with the tyres .

I look forward to seeing the progress.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so whats the plan once this is done? sell it?
Ahh, I was afraid someone would ask that. I'm kicking a couple of options around.

1: Sell it
Pros:
  • Spares stockpile removed from house, freeing up space
  • Cash influx for second bike, either from my dream garage, or the 800XC in my dealership that seems to be calling my name lately

Cons:
  • I can't think of any right now.

2: Keep it as a backup/touring bike
Pros:
  • I could leave the luggage permanently installed, and not have the black one suffer the indignity of wearing metal wheels or touring tires ever again.
  • Visiting friends from the UK would have a bike to ride.
  • I'd have something to ride if the black one ever refused to start
Cons:
  • Would consume more space than the pile of spares I was trying to shift.
  • Added expense of licensing & insurance the second bike
  • The aforementioned Tiger 800 is probably a better touring bike

3: Fit an extended swingarm and a Rotrex supercharger
Pros:

Cons:
  • I'd probably have to sell the black one to fund the project

Naturally, I would welcome your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Man, I have always loved white wheels. Do it Flash!
Err.... no.

Looking forward to reading the new thread. I greatly enjoyed the blackup thread. Great job Lord Flashheart! I can't wait to see this project come along.
Thanks! Don't hold your breath!

Looking forward to seeing what you have to do to get this one roadworthy again. Looks like it's going to be a real challenge.
Cheers, Major. I still think of my Dad laughing his head off at the goons every time I see your handle.

·
Registered
960 Posts
You already have an incredibly badass S3. I would sell it and buy the tiger. Then you have a spare bike, but you also got something you can keep it interesting with. Although option 3 sounds pretty nice haha

1 - 20 of 200 Posts