Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had my Arrows fitted to my Speedy R. I'm very happy with them and the sound they produce :) but one issue (to me) is that the end cans are a loose fit onto the pipes. The kit comes with a replacement stainless 1-2 pipe of which the end cans just slip over with no springs or clamp so they actually move on the pipe. There is one bolt holding each can onto the bike under the seat. The pipe is clamped just after the O2 sensor

Has anyone else got these fitted and exhibit the same issue - if so how did you fix it or did you just leave it.

I can see after a time the vibration would wear either the pipe or the can entrance so it would be nice to "fix" them on more securely

--
Mark

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely no springs. There are no mounting points on the pipe or can and the instructions list nothing. It can't be clamped as there aren't any slots cut to compress the tube

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
96 Posts
Are you speaking of the twin high mount Arrows?
If so, I have them and besides being clamped at the bottom, there is a tab welded to the left branch of the Y pipe that secures it to the sub frame and then the two cans each have their own pickup points.
No other mounting points or clamps securing them.
Hope that helps...

·
Registered
179 Posts
After taking my werkes pipe off a couple times I realized there was some exhaust wrap around the meeting/mounting point.

Seems like it helps to provide a pretty snug fit, I need to redo mine after loosening it to snug it up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After taking my werkes pipe off a couple times I realized there was some exhaust wrap around the meeting/mounting point.

Seems like it helps to provide a pretty snug fit, I need to redo mine after loosening it to snug it up.
Not a bad idea. I'll get some from Halfords :)

--
Mark

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have just rung Triumph. They say it is an interference fit and should seal when it gets hot due to the expansion on the pipes. I have to admit that I only noticed the movement when it was cold - but there is still a vibration buzz when riding it. The right hand can is looser that the left. I'll check again after it has warmed up.

FYI - The low boy does have springs to pull the can onto the pipe

If it is still an issue they said to take it back to the dealers to get it checked and replaced if necessary.

--
Mark

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the link. Interesting that he had exactly the same problem as me - same side as well! I'm going to try the exhaust wrap first and see if it helps and drop by the dealer when I get a chance

--
Mark

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
True, those gaskets may be made to be replaced after each use. Could also contact Arrow/Triumph and take a video of the issue and see if they will give you a replacement.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its not really exhaust wrap, it is a gasket (seems like a flexible metal), it is part number 20 on this diagram.

http://www.bikebandit.com/2012-triumph-speed-triple-r/o/m154252#sch738642

Not sure if you need to reinstall them with the arrow, but they should be on your stock exhaust, you can just pull them off and see if that helps you without having to spend any exhaust wrap.
Thinking about these last night whilst laying inbed (sad I know) I'm not sure these will work as they need to be clamped to stay in place?

--
Mark

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
They may, the fit was somewhat tight, and there are clamps for everything once they are sealed up. You may be able to get it to work, but could be tough. At least the parts are free so can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hate to bump a 5 year old thread, but I have the exact problem on my new-to-me 2013 Arrow high mounts. Left side is great, tight. Rights side is wobbly.
I'm thinking about cutting a slit in the flange and adding a clamp. Any better ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I ordered a 52-55mm exhaust clamp, installed it and it tightened up the fitting so the right side pipe is now solid. No slitting required.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts