Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title says,
I know that the ST handles better (shorter wheelbase by over 4"!!).

Besides that I have questions:
Looking at 09 ST(20k miles) or '12 GT(20k miles also)
It will mostly be solo.

Which one would you choose?
Reliability? (Suppose to be great)
What to ask owner/ look for?
How is stock suspension.
Maintenance

Thank you for your time
Laurent

·
Registered
313 Posts
While I've not ridden a GT, the thing I was most drawn to about it is the increase in storage capacity over the ST. The cases (side and top) on the ST are funky shapes and limited capacity, if you're riding solo then I wouldn't think it would be an issue, but the larger ones are definitely an advantage for the GT. I've also heard that the headlights on the GT are much better, though again, I don't have any personal experience to compare them.

I like the looks of the ST better, with the underseat exhaust rather than the massive can hiding the single sided swingarm, but bf the GT had been out when I bought my ST in 2009, I certainly would've bought the GT for the storage improvements. It wasn't (and still isn't) enough to make me consider selling my ST (65k miles on it now) to get a GT, but it would be nice. Between the two side cases and the top box, I can do week long trips (solo) on the ST, but packing can be challenging.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Mostly solo, I'd go for the ST.

I don't have personal experience of the GT but as naskie said, it has bigger side cases (standard I believe so you may not even get them with the ST), better headlights and a bit more comfort

The GT headlights are definitely better (looks and functionality) as I've converted my 2009 ST to the GT setup. Easy to do and not too expensive if you sell on the original parts

Reliability wise, there's nothing between them. From front wheel to the swingarm pivot, they are basically the same bike. GT has slightly more power but it's only a few HP so no big deal

Stock suspension on my ST has been good. Still on the original shock at 38k miles. I mostly do solo riding on twisty local roads but it's easily coped with two-up and full luggage for a weekend. If your riding is reasonably spirited, you might want to consider an aftermarket shock and a fork rebuild but at 20k on either bike, you shouldn't have any problems for a while

Maintenance is pretty easy if you have a reasonable level of ability. No worse than a lot of bikes. Would recommend getting TuneECU and a cable if you want to read codes, remap or do ABS maintenance

Fit and finish are pretty good but a lot will depend on where the bike has been stored. My 2009 has always been garaged so is in good condition but any bike kept outside will deteriorate.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
For solo use I like the ST as it just fits me really well.
However, I think the GT is a better bike.
The thing to do is get one of each so you won't have to agonize over the purchase decision.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
GT has a longer wheelbase and more storage.
Hate the exhaust on the GT.
Had a ST and miss it. Great bike.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For solo use I like the ST as it just fits me really well.
However, I think the GT is a better bike.
The thing to do is get one of each so you won't have to agonize over the purchase decision.
LOL, I already have a Street triple R and a SV1000s. Telling the wife I want one for us to take weekend trips and for the multiple 3 to 4 days trips I take with groups.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yep, given what you have in your stable already, I think that's the best choice

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have owned both the 2009 ST and currently own the 2013 GT. I do a lot of touring so the GT suited me well but the first thing I did was remove that ships anchor of an exhaust and fit a Delcavic pipe which saves kilo's,looks better,sounds better(baffle removed it is still not obnoxiously loud) and with a quick remap from the local dealer runs very well. The luggage carrying capacity is impressive on the GT and any pillion will love the top box to lean back on.I do not find I am any slower on the GT ,it tracks very well through corners and seems to soak up the rough country roads better. The taller gearing on the GT is great making for some impressive mileage per tank with more than sufficient top gear roll on torque. My two minor criticisms would be the less than Japanese smooth gearbox and the non adjustable fairing screen which still directs air around my helmet.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have owned both the 2009 ST and currently own the 2013 GT. I do a lot of touring so the GT suited me well but the first thing I did was remove that ships anchor of an exhaust and fit a Delcavic pipe which saves kilo's,looks better,sounds better(baffle removed it is still not obnoxiously loud) and with a quick remap from the local dealer runs very well. The luggage carrying capacity is impressive on the GT and any pillion will love the top box to lean back on.I do not find I am any slower on the GT ,it tracks very well through corners and seems to soak up the rough country roads better. The taller gearing on the GT is great making for some impressive mileage per tank with more than sufficient top gear roll on torque. My two minor criticisms would be the less than Japanese smooth gearbox and the non adjustable fairing screen which still directs air around my helmet. View attachment 734964 View attachment 734966
Thanks Miko.
Going to send an email to seller right now.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only rode it back from Vegas to SF, almost 600 miles in 8 hrs. Smooth, fast and fairly comfy. My butt was the only thing that was happy to get off the bike. The rest of me was fine. Going for a ride in the mou tains this weekend, will report back on that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts