Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, i ride a s3 and like triumph so much I think I want another one for my kid brother. He is prolly bout 6 foot and weights 175. What can you guys tell me about the bonniville? Are there any major issues with with it, for example the S3 and its brake issue? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chad

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
The only thing I can think of that is complained about all the time is the stock suspension. Both ends suck.

I replaced both with Ikon's and the bike became a brand new animal. She handles like its on rails, and is so easy to ride. The only maint is oil/filter changes and lubing of the chain, and routine checking of the nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
"Are there any major issues with it...?"
Yeah..... the uninvited, never unwanted, no need to solicit for, and ALWAYS ..... no matter where he may ride or with....
-- the 'attention' --
his Bonneville will get, attract, manifest, develop, and draw itself to. Your brother will have to learn to be patient with old guys reciting the good old days, "my first bike", "thems was the bestest hill climbers in my day", and of course.... "I remember when....."

If he is a mellow rider, with no desire to go fast, he can get away with doing NOTHING to the bike...... but that won't last long. If he wants to open her up and let her breath and snort, he can gain as much as five horsepower (or more). If he is an accomplished rider and wants to wiggle with the best of 'em through the canyons, suspension work and handlebars are a must, and rear-set controls can be had. There are all sorts of after-market goodies available, and he will have to have a great deal of self control to avoid from buying SOMETHING with which to personalize his Bonnie.

Oh yeah, and the spokes on the rear wheel have been known to break. (seriously) I actually know a couple people who have had this problem. Is THAT a major issue?

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-12-25 09:32 ]

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
No problems whatever with my '03. I've left it totally stock with the exception of adding OEM grab rail, centerstand, and headlight switch. I've considered air injection removal, off road pipes and airbox mods, but the bike runs beautifully as is. Suspension and brake mods are always very popular, but I've found handling to be very good and have left the shocks as they are as well.

Yes, the brakes get a bit spongy and will just not stay bled for long. I solved this little problem with speed bleeders and EBC Double-H brake pads from newbonneville.com and this has been an excellent fix.

I've owned several motorcycles but for sheer pleasure of ownership and riding, the T-100 cannot be beat. Just yesterday, the homeless guy on the corner released his grip on his card board sign just long enought to give be the thumbs up and say, "Cool Bike!" as I rode by. This kind of thing happens all of the time. People just naturally gravitate toward the bike, and are surprised to learn that it is not a 40+ year old original.

I've chromed the front and rear fenders, and have left the Lucifer orange tank as is. It's truly a beautiful bike.

I don't judge it against 21st century production superbike wannabes. It's a classic design, neatly brought up to current standards of smoothness and reliability, and it's a joy to own, every day that you ride it.

For the money, it's a bit of a bargain, as well!

[ This message was edited by: tsmgguy on 2006-12-26 11:09 ]

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2006-12-24 23:05, Nimec2320 wrote:
What can you guys tell me about the bonniville? Are there any major issues with with it,
No major issues. He can ride it as is, straight stock and have a blast. And as skinny as he is, will enjoy the ample power the twin delivers. I keep saying my first performance upgrade needs to be losing 30 pounds. ;)

I've had one warranty issue that took a couple days, but have not read much about the problem I had. So my deal sounds unusual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts