Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 standard Bonnie that frankly is a bit too quite.

I don't know what exhaust will fit on my bike, or if there is anything I can do my self to my existing exhausts.

I don't want to be too loud, but right now my bike seems to be quieter then my electric scooter!
I don't want to wake up the neighbors but I'd like other cars on the road to hear my bike when I'm 6 inches from the drivers window!

Price is an issue as well as being louder is only marginally important to me and I am totally satisfied with the HP my bike produces.

Please help!

Thanks,
Dani

P.S. I've seen so many thread on debaffeling but frankly I don't know what it is, or what it does, or how difficult it is to do.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Take a look at some Predator exhausts from British Customs or the Dominator Touring pipes from TPUSA. Both are great high quality after market exhausts that are easy and quick to install yourself

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

·
30,693 Posts
I think you want a set of TORs. That will be the ticket for you. A little throatier, but not at all excessive.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I was in the same situation as you. Got the TORs for my Thruxton and very happy with them. A little more deep sound during idle and when getting on the throttle. Not sure the difference in sound from Bonnie and Thrux TORs though.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Get your drill out, and put a few small holes in the end plates. A little at a time is best, it's easier to add more holes than to take them away.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
The ends of the mufflers. I don't have the bike anymore, but IIRC I was able to get a drill in here and make a few 6mm holes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
+1 on the Dominator Touring Slip-ons

These babies are perfect. They look like your stock reverse cones, but are stainless. The sound is amazing -- under 3k rpm and the cops don't even look. They breath fire above 5k rpm. Like I said - perfect. They also come standard with brackets welded on for the side and centrestand stops from your stock cans. Why TPUSA doesn't mention that mystifies me, but some aftermarket cans won't work with a centrestand (NOT good). Only thing is, you have to find a dealer to do a remap. I like the look of reverse cones on my T100 way better than the peashooters, but that's a personal taste, I suppose.

Ride safe, Joe

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Thank you!

So just insert a drill bit into the whole and go at it, correct?
You will have the big hole in the centre already, you have to aim for the area around it. Start with 2 or 3 1/4" holes in each side, and you will free up a little more "bark"

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You will have the big hole in the centre already, you have to aim for the area around it. Start with 2 or 3 1/4" holes in each side, and you will free up a little more "bark"
Thanks!
So drill where the red circles are below, correct?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just stick a long piece of sharp rebar down the tube and pound it through with a hammer. There are a few baffles inside, go through one at a time.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Thanks!
So drill where the red circles are below, correct?
No, inside of the hole there should be a plate, that is the best place to drill as it won't be visible. I'm going from memory here, but I think that's what I did.

Or do what sushigaijin said ^^ :)

·
Banned
144 Posts
I drilled mine out with a hole drill, I only had a battery drill and could not produce enough drill torque. I angled the drill until I broke through one side then I took a heavy duty flathead screwdriver and hammered out the remaining welds. I cleaned it up all pretty with a dremel and a round grinder.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mmm... Sound like I'll be getting my drill out (later) in the morning (it's 4am at the mo in NZ). Well, seems the way to go until I've saved some $$$ for replacements.
Ta fellas.

·
Registered
469 Posts
TORs are nice, but bafflectomy's cheaper!
Me drill couldn't cope- just a 18v battery jobbie, so rebar it was! Definitely improved sound wise, and just gone around 2/3 of the silencer so far. Need a longer piece of bar ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts