Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a brake pad swap on my Thruxton and I have a couple of pistons that barely move. I planned on removing all the pistons, giving them a clean with some ultra fine steelwool and replacing the seals.

I talked to the dealer about ordering the seals, but they cant sell them separate from the pistons and the cost for all the pistons and seals is nearly $400!!!

I was hoping someone here might know where I could find some replacement seals.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Are you sure that you need new seals?
Both my bikes have the same brembo calipers and the pistons have always been very tight, no matter how clean and well looked after they are.
I would pump the pistons out as far as you can with a piece of scrap wood in between (without popping them out the seals) and give them a good scrub with a toothbrush and brake cleaner or even just soapy water, if you have some brake piston pliers to grip the inside of the pistons and twist them all the better.
Then put a little bit of brake fluid around the Pistons and push them back in, repeat this a few times until you're happy they all move when you press the lever.

This is my clean from last year. What did you did you do with your water cooled twin today?

When the caliper is off the disc there will always be one piston that will move before the others as they won't have exactly the same friction on all the seals, its different when they're working against the pads and the disc and they only have to move millimetres.

·
Registered
442 Posts
.......planned on removing all the pistons, giving them a clean with some ultra fine steelwool.......
No, don't use steelwool. A light buffing with something like Solvol Autosol and rags cut up from an old tee shirt is about as aggressive as you want to go. If they are really bad (pitted etc) clean them up using the old shoelace trick around a piece of, say 600 grade, wet and dry soaked in oil.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Always make sure the pistons are clean before pushing them back in (for whatever reason) otherwise any accumulated dirt could not only damage the seals but will also make it more difficult for the pistons to fully retract off the discs after braking resulting in a lower pad/disc life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts