Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Genesis tank bag from the dealer when I picked up my bike. I thought the feature of having suction cups as opposed to scratchy magnets or straps looked appealing but it's been a real ZERO. I've tried wetting the cup, drying, even tried RTV which had me picking dried silicone off my tank for the past hour. But the bag is being returned Saturday and I have to start all over.
I don't carry much in there but if I wanted to take my jacket liner and stow it an expandable bag would be nice.
So does anyone have any opinions or recommendations on a good, weatherproof, affordable bag?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I have the Triumph OEM Magnetic/strap combo bag that is expandable. It is nicely made and works well. It comes with a rain cover. I have the larger, expandable model. It's great for long trips, but sucks for back road twisty rides as the bag gets in the way for free cornering movement with the upper body. I also have the OEM Panniers. I bought all of those things when I bought the bike so I could use it for longer trips. They all work well.

When I plan to ride the twisties, I throw on my Camel Back Mule back pack. It works great, I don't even know it's there and I can carry a nice cool drink in it that I can partake of while riding. I use it more than the tank bag...

TripleThreat

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no tank scratching? I was worried the magnets would allow the pads to shift and eventually cause wear marks.
Does it interfere with refueling at all? Additionally, I usually carry an IPOD, Creative MP3 player (for watching movies on the TV in work), a cell phone and my magnetic strip ID card. Would the magnets that hold the bag be a threat to these items?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I've had no scratching issues at all, nor have I had any issues with my iPod, iPhone or any of my credit cards when carried in the Triumph Tank bag.

When refueling, the front of the bag unsnaps from two plastic buckles that secure the front of the bag, with a strap that wraps under the headstock, and then the whole bag lays back on the rider's seat while you refuel. While you have to be off the bike, it really is no big deal.

The mounting system includes a magnetic pad that also has a strap that goes around the rear tank mount and then the actual bag zips on at the back and is held in place in the front by the strap and buckle method. In addition, it comes with just a map pocket that fastens onto the mounting pad in place of the bag, so when you get to your destination and want to hit the twisties with just a map, it's pretty easy to do that. The bag also comes with shoulder straps that turn it into a backpack for easy carrying and a rain cover.

All-in-all, it is a really nice setup.

TripleThreat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts