Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am considering getting a secondhand Speedmaster and have come up with two to choose between; an '07 (Carby) or an '08 (EFI).

Without starting an EFI vs Carby discussion I was hoping to get some feedback into from an ownership perspective which is better or at least which is more favorable.

The '07 is also slightly modified with exhaust and some asthetic mods, where the '08 is fairly stock.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
95 Posts
What are the respective prices?

Essentially, you get more power (hp and torque) straight out of the box with the EFI.

If you're going to 'fiddle' (change pipes and intake) often, it's cheaper to rejet carbs. If you just want to ride, go for the FI.

There's also the shape of the tank to consider. For some, myself included, it's a deal-breaker.

And...welcome. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
2008 had carbs also

I just went to the triumph website and rechecked the spec's the 2008 had twin carbs EFI is introduced on the 2009 - are you sure the other bike isn't a 2009?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a 2008 EFI SPEEDY and love it. As has been said depends on the price between them. I would not have thought their would be a lot in it.

With the EFI you have reliability in any weather and better fuel economy .

·
Registered
648 Posts
Except for the U.S.A., '08 models came with EFI.
The US has EFI on all Bonnevilles and Thruxtons starting in '09.
There are some that will disagree but I feel adjusting the air/fuel ratio with a fuel injected bike is much easier. All you have to do is have your Triumph dealer upload a richer map to the ECU (approx. $50.00) and you're finished. The ECU itself automatically makes small changes to compensate for altitude, temperature and barometric pressure changes.
Carbs. can't adjust themselves automatically like EFI.
My '09 Bonneville is fuel injected and I love it :D
I own 5 street bikes and all of them have carburettors.
I've owned motorcycles all my life and can tune a carburettor as well as most but I choose not to bother as it's no longer necessary.
IMO, F.I. is the only way to go!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the responses.

In terms of difference in $$$, it's about A$500 between advertised price - not much really. Even the kms differences are insignificant.

Is there a difference in the tank shape?

·
Registered
71 Posts
07 Speedmaster with carbs

You shouldn't have a problem with carbs where you live however here in Ottawa cold weather starts are not as quick. Also find I have to reduce the idol down a little after a short distance otherwise the revs are too high at a light. Tear drop tank shape in 07 more bulbous shape in 08 (here in Canada)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts