Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just returned to Scotland after 15 yrs away and would like to hook up with anyone interested in getting together for relaxed day trips. I'm in Glasgow presently but may move to Edinburgh later in the year. I'm also over in Edinburgh every couple of weeks, so am happy to meet over there for a blether.

Also, any suggestions for interesting routes/ accommodation/ cafes or other places of interest would be welcome.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi Frank !! welcome home !! :) as for interesting routes, just head north out of Glasgow and you can`t go wrong :)

KK

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Frank I am in north glasgow - jordanhill - so you can pm if you want to meet up. MCS in Fulbar St Renfrew have a RAT ride every month. How are you enjoying Fascist Britain? Coincidentally posting this on the day the BNP won 2 euro trash seats

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Frank,

Welcome back. I'm in Edinburgh and the roads between bonnyrigg and Dumfries are some nice roads. I would offer to meet up but my Daytona 900 has just died and I desperately trying to source a new engine before the blistering summer that we're supposed to be getting. :SadSigh:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Alright Frank. Lots of good roads around. Unfortunately I've yet to find a decent one between Edinburgh and Glasgow! North Lanarkshire council seem to be intent on taking the road system back to the middle ages.

Head North or South out of Edinburgh or Glasgow and you cannt go too far wrong though. For a spare couple of hours anything involving Peebles, Moffat or Selkirk is a good bet.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks lads and lassies. (and welcome 2 dog). I'd forgotten that we're not automatically subscribed to threads once we post, so forgot all about this thread until I checked today! Since I started the thread I've done about 2000 miles just bumbling around north and south of Glasgow and Edinburgh. Went on a nice trip around to Dunoon on one of those sweltering days and got the ferry back across to Greenock. That Glasgow-Edinburgh road is a bit tedious BadMiker but it's great to be only 40 miles from either city. Excellent weather too of late, although the rain seems to be steadily creeping back.

Fair ye well the noo.:ScotlandFlag

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
This is the thread that I have been looking for...phew!!!:ClapHappy: I need some help please with a ride a buddy and I are planning to do from the 27th - 30th of August.

First of all, I am an American living in the UK; known by some as the "Yank on a Triumph." I live in Mildenhall and here is our proposed route:

Day 1:

Immediately after work we are rolling (4:00 p.m.) and plan on heading up to the outskirts of Glasgow which is showing about a 4-5 hour ride then stay the night.

Day 2:

Travel up the Loch ness Clansman Hotel where we stay the night so we can go look for Nessie. This is showing about a 5 hour ride.

Day 3:

Travel across the Highlands to a little south of Aberdeen and hangout for a little bit which is showing a 3 hour ride. Then push off down the coast and make it to Newcastle that is showing a 4-5 hour ride. Stay the night at Newcastle.

Day 4:

Push home that is showing to be a 4 - 5 hour ride.

My first question:

Is this a reasonable route mapped out as far as being realistic to accomplish?

I have been researching a lot of conflicting information about the weather in Scotland. Some sites are saying that August is beautiful and the best month to travel to Scotland and some say that August is the worse month. I have even come across a joke that says you get all four seasons in each day for the month of August.

Soooooo...before I do this journey to a place I have never been to before; could someone help me out and share with me your thoughts/insights/opinions? Thank you in advance and I hope it is a case that I am being too picky trying to square everything away. I just don't want to be stuck in hard thunderstorm showers everyday of this trip and would like to know if that is the likelihood for the month of August.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
First thoughts are - this is a hell of a long way to go in a short time - you will mostly see main roads and hear not a lot else but the buzz of a bonnie at 75mph.

As to weather / rain - August can be good or bad or both - but being stuck in a rainshower as you say is miserable.

I would revisit your route and target a more manageable distance and area eg the West Coast up to Ullapool and then back down via Loch Lomond / The Trossachs.

Just a few initial thoughts - I am sure others will pile in !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts