Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the 2004 TBS and need a 12000 mile service. I want a good thorough job - Bike runs great, but I want to trust the guy doing the work- trust as in if he thinks it needs a chain- trust that he torques everything right, trust that the work is good and fair. The best dealer I've dealt with for parts is Hermys- 4 hours away- Guess I'm wondering if a dealer is the only way to go? (I kinda think it is), and if anyone has experience with the mechanics in any of the three upstate NY dealers (Spitzies, Hyde park, Canundaigua motorsports and one in Rochester, I believe (that's 4!) I live between Albany and Utica. If I GOTTA go to Port Clinton (Hermys)- ie if that is hands down the best around, so be it, but I can't believe that NYS is devoid of good MC mechanics.

By the way- nice to be back- I forgot how good this site is. I know there is a dealer forum, but I think you Hinkley classics guys might be a better resource

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I also realize that asking about service can be iffy- different mechanics same dealer, what works for one might not be good service to another. I'm just hoping for a little input to help my decision.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I do all of my own wrenching, but if I did not, it would be Ed's Service in Hyde Park. This is a small mom and pop dealer, and I actually stopped here with my buddies on Saturday, as we were down at the Rhinebeck Antique Motorcycle show. They had gotten me lots of parts by mail order, but I had never been that far south to meet them in person. We visited for a very long time, and they reminded me of another great mom and pop shop in Garnet Lake, Heid's Hodaka. Apparently, Ed does all of the wrenching, and he has been a Triumph dealer for 50 years, so he knows the Hinckley bikes very well. I would not hesitate to give them a try.
Spitzies people are nice, but they only recently became a dealer, and while they have lots of Triumph trained techs, they don't know squat about our bikes. They also don't stock parts, so have to order everything. Ed's keeps more classic triples parts in stock, and have often had what I needed right on the shelf when I called. Stacy is Ed's daughter, and seems to know more about Triumphs than nearly anyone I have ever met. Give them a go and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great endorsement- funny I did some poking around and came to a similar conclusion- just not as much hard evidence as you! I was also considering doing it myself- but I wanted someone who knew what they were doing to look it over. I did a valve adjustment at 6000 myself and the bike seems to have survived.

I got down to Rhinebeck on Friday- fantastic! my second time (few years back also).

If I do have the service done it'll be by ed's- if not I'll be posting a lot of questions!!!

Thanks- If you ever get a little south let me know-ctown here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i know its a hike from you, but its worth taking a look at (great riding to get there): in falls village connecticut there is this awesome bar called toymakers cafe, all british beers and foods, really good stuff. But BEHIND the restaurant is the shop where they work exclusively on british bikes. Theres tons of parts there and very knowledgable people as well. the shop is called T100 garage i believe.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know its a hike from you, but its worth taking a look at (great riding to get there): in falls village connecticut there is this awesome bar called toymakers cafe, all british beers and foods, really good stuff. But BEHIND the restaurant is the shop where they work exclusively on british bikes. Theres tons of parts there and very knowledgable people as well. the shop is called T100 garage i believe.
Nice- sounds like it's worth a ride- just for fun!

·
Banned
947 Posts
I have friends in Cortland. One apparently has an triumph (I have not seen it, and I heard about it from another friend). I will ask about service though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts