Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know that this has probably been answered, and that I should be able to figure this out on my own, but the options on the net keep confusing me.

I've got an 07, carbed Bonnie.

I want to get a traditional, Yuasa battery. Which is the best model for a carbed bike?

When I search on Amazon, the battery that comes up for my bike (Yuasa YUAM3RH2S YTX12-BS) has a number of reviews that state how good this battery is for the EFI bikes. Am I right that if I get the battery for the EFI bike, I'm giving something up--overall power or life or something? That's the sense I have, but I'm not exactly clear about it.

Looks like the above Yuasa will work, but maybe someone could let me know if there's a more carb-specific model.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,738 Posts
The YTX12-BS is indeed the battery fitted to carbed models from the beginning of production until the EFI models came in around 2008-2009.

On those it was replaced by a slightly smaller one, the YT12B-BS, which is 18mm narrower, this created room for the EFI system's ECU.

Following starting problems the Factory carried out some mods to the airbox and wiring layout to make room, once again, for the original YTX12-BS. This happened around 2011.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
FYI, I avoid the YUASA brand if I can. I find YUASA batteries, at least for me, seem to fail for no apparent reason. This with a quality float charger on it when not in use.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
FYI, I avoid the YUASA brand if I can. I find YUASA batteries, at least for me, seem to fail for no apparent reason. This with a quality float charger on it when not in use.
Improperly commissioned perhaps. 7 - 8 years is not uncommon. Try topping up the charge every couple of weeks rather than letting it sit on the tender too. Battery Tender, Jr.? If not, switch chargers. Works like a charm for me on both mine which use the identical Yuasa. Ducati (touch wood!) has the better charging system too.

On the Bonneville, definitely top up the charge after each ride. The bike won't do this, regardless of the length of ride. (The Ducati does.)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Following starting problems the Factory carried out some mods to the airbox and wiring layout to make room, once again, for the original YTX12-BS. This happened around 2011.
Mr. F, I am confused as to why they did this. According to the info on the Yuasa site, both batteries are identical regarding Ah ratings, but the YTX12 is only quoted as 180 CCA, whereas the YT12 is 210 CCA. That makes the YT12 a slightly better battery IMO regarding starting. Perhaps there are still some things for me to learn about batteries.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The taller YTX14-BS also fits. I've had nothing but excellent service life out of Yuasa batteries.

/M
Same here. When I replaced my battery recently I was thinking of the YT14, which is the same in dimension to the YT12, except 15mm taller and 2Ah more. I ended up with the stock YT12B-BS though because my son in law is the manager of a Ducati dealership and this is the only battery listed by Ducati apparently, but I got it at trade price.

·
Premium Member
20,738 Posts
Mr. F, I am confused as to why they did this. According to the info on the Yuasa site, both batteries are identical regarding Ah ratings, but the YTX12 is only quoted as 180 CCA, whereas the YT12 is 210 CCA. That makes the YT12 a slightly better battery IMO regarding starting. Perhaps there are still some things for me to learn about batteries.
Yes, it's a bit of a mystery, perhaps someone thought "the bigger the better..", in fact they've choosen the YTX for the new water-cooled Bonnies and all.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Same here. When I replaced my battery recently I was thinking of the YT14, which is the same in dimension to the YT12, except 15mm taller and 2Ah more. I ended up with the stock YT12B-BS though because my son in law is the manager of a Ducati dealership and this is the only battery listed by Ducati apparently, but I got it at trade price.
Indeed!!! ;) When my 4-year-old M796 had a valve check recently, I had the battery changed while it was apart and keep that one as a spare whenever my 7-year-old T-100 battery croaks and charge it every two weeks along with all the other toys! The M796 battery is buried under bodywork and countless screws. Didn't want to EVER have to deal with that! :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
My Yusava factory battery died after two years, so I bought a replica from Amazon for just half the price. It's been working fine and if it last as long as the stock battery, I will still save money.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have not experienced this. I'm going into my 3rd season on my stock battery, as is my wife. I pull the batteries and bring them inside for the winter, gang them, and put them on a Schumacher battery maintainer once in awhile (not scientific about the intervals). I have not had either battery go flat during the riding season, except once when I left the keyswitch in accessory overnight. The little bulb in the headlight drained the battery over 20 hours or so. Even after that, it charged up fine and I've had no problems since.

-Ed

On the Bonneville, definitely top up the charge after each ride. The bike won't do this, regardless of the length of ride. (The Ducati does.)

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I have not experienced this. I'm going into my 3rd season on my stock battery, as is my wife.
One day you'll take a shorter ride. Then not ride for 3 - 4 weeks. You'll hit the starter and get the low voltage threshold "click". At three years you are just about "due". ;)

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
My Yusava factory battery died after two years, so I bought a replica from Amazon for just half the price. It's been working fine and if it last as long as the stock battery, I will still save money.
There's a good chance that it's being inadequately charged, either by your riding habits, your lack of using a Tender for long-term storage, or most likely the marginal OEM regulator-rectifier.

If the latter is true, it will continue to kill your battery every two years. A new Yuasa is a good battery and should last more than two years.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Improperly commissioned perhaps. 7 - 8 years is not uncommon. Try topping up the charge every couple of weeks rather than letting it sit on the tender too. Battery Tender, Jr.? If not, switch chargers. Works like a charm for me on both mine which use the identical Yuasa. Ducati (touch wood!) has the better charging system too.

My original Yuasa lasted 8+ years, I was amazed by that. Then, one day, only the yellow light showed on the tender, and I knew it was time. My grief was tangible. What's worse, none of you guys showed up for the memorial service.

:grin2:

·
Registered
606 Posts
I used to remove my battery in the winter and periodically charge it. No more. My garage is unheated, and I simply leave the bike on a battery tender all winter.
Last week the original battery in my ’06 T100 gave up the ghost. 10 full riding seasons for the original Yuasa battery is damn good.
I replaced the Yuasa with an ETX-12 from BatteryMart.
It’s an AGM type with the same specs as the original.

Don’t get hung-up on replacing the Yuasa unit with another.
There are plenty of good brands available.
If you use a battery tender or like unit to keep your battery topped off and conditioned properly, you’ll get the maximum life and utility from it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts