Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a non EFI bonneville for my project, so I guess that narrows it down to 2001-2007? 790cc or 865cc either is fine.

Any particular years of manufacture have any special issues/problems worth noting; or any particularly outstanding years?

·
Registered
740 Posts
In my opinion, the older the better with the Hinckley twins. The 790s are hotter than the 865s, and the early 790s were hotter than the later 790s. The earlier bikes were made entirely in Britain if that matters to you, and they all had the nicer paint jobs and details that later became only "T100" features. They'll be cheaper and well broken in to boot, and if they run well after five or six years you know they've been well taken care of and well broken in.

Frankly though, they're all good bikes, from every year - just some of the details change. The more important issue than *year* is condition, care that was taken, whether the specific bike has modifications or accessories that you like, etc. The different years are so similar that I wouldn't really take year into consideration at all unless the two bikes were otherwise indistinguishable, and of course that won't happen.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
2007 was an exceptional year for the Bonneville! [wink, wink].
But really, I've never read anything bad about any year Hinckley twin, and I have read a lot about them. A few things here and there, such as the cams just mentioned. The fact is that the frame and engine are of very sound design - you cannot go wrong with any of them.

·
30,517 Posts
The very early ones had some clutch chatter I understand.

Other than that, find one you like the look of that has been well looked after, and you're golden.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If you are looking for a really built 2002 bonne, I've got a nice one for sale. Are you looking for something stock?

Studio City- small world. I think I saw your bike on our local craigslist (I'm in burbank.)

If that's indeed the one, nice bike!

It's got a lot of the mods I'd eventually like to have (not sure about the wide tire kit, I'd love to know more about how that affects ride/stance etc..) Only prob is its out of my reach price wise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the bike you saw was dark blue with a lot of chrome, then yes that's my bike. The big back tire is great, feels more stable in the turns and looks really cool(I think). If you ride this bike a stock motor will never do it for you again. After the carbs were done the really came to life, under 4000rpms it's smooth and easy and above it just takes off like a rocket. The price is OBO, so if your interested we can talk.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Used Bonne

03-05 the best inmo!! As Lindyt said! he790 motor is a hotty!! I just got to get a higher rev limiter for my 04 now.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Wasn't there a starter mount issue on some of the early years? I believe there was a problem where the starter mounting/bolt points on the case would crack and break, causing untold sorrow and headaches. This seems to be the only major issue I've heard of. Pls correct me if I am mistaken.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wasn't there a starter mount issue on some of the early years? I believe there was a problem where the starter mounting/bolt points on the case would crack and break, causing untold sorrow and headaches. This seems to be the only major issue I've heard of. Pls correct me if I am mistaken.
:eek:

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
the older bikes have a weaker area in the block where the starter idler gear mounts to the case it was beefed up on later year bikes .Thats not to say the older bikes will mess up but enough did that they made the change .Some of the early 01s had some clutch troubles the later bikes they changed the clutch .The later bikes have a better breather system then the older bikes that had a seal that gave trouble .If your a hot rodder the 07 and later bikes have the best heads to port.ALL in all there all good bikes and give very little trouble.

·
Registered
866 Posts
the older bikes have a weaker area in the block where the starter idler gear mounts to the case it was beefed up on later year bikes .Thats not to say the older bikes will mess up but enough did that they made the change .Some of the early 01s had some clutch troubles the later bikes they changed the clutch .The later bikes have a better breather system then the older bikes that had a seal that gave trouble .If your a hot rodder the 07 and later bikes have the best heads to port.ALL in all there all good bikes and give very little trouble.
I'm glad to see that I'm not completely out to lunch. I knew I read that somewhere in this forum.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion, but I prefer the torquey feel of the 865. I actually waited til 07 to get my Bonne Black with the 865.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion, but I prefer the torquey feel of the 865. I actually waited til 07 to get my Bonne Black with the 865.

13% more torque over the 790 according to Triumph blurb a couple of years ago. Translates into definitely a more torquey feel, so much so in fact that I got shot of the 790 for an 865;) Either way pretty much bullet proof engines.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts