Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First post on the Classics Forum - Been lurking for a while and figured I'd come on in and make myself at home.

Kind of like asking the local fisherman where the “Big Ones” are and wishing he’d share his secret with you, I’m hoping you can give me some pointers on finding a project bike. Around here (NYC metropolitan area), old barns have long ago given way to housing developments and shopping malls so I’ve been scanning the papers and doing some searches on the net and other than finding some dealers selling fully restored bikes for lots of bucks, I haven’t had any success.

Can you recommend websites, publications, experienced Triumph mechanics or any others in the NE that could help provide a lead?

All ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
76 Posts
John,
I don't have any contacts in NY although I am planning on taking a vacation up there this summer to see the sights!!

Not sure what kind of project you are looking for. If you are looking for Triumph/BSA projects, I have a hotshoe here in Kansas (almost smack dab in the middle of the USA to be specific) that has bought out 10 Triumph and BSA dealerships over the years. He does not sell on Ebay (see guys, all the good stuff is still out there!) but has probably 30-40 (probably more like 50-60) "projects" from BSA VIctors to A-10's to Triumph Bonnevilles to Tiger Cubs, Bantams.....etc....etc...the list is way to big to mention what all he has. He runs a British motorcycle museum in Marquette, Kansas. He is retired and hangs out at his museum/shop and lives his dream.
This is where I got project Thunderbolt (1968 A-65).
I know it would be a long trip but maybe something to think about. If you are looking for a particular bike, he probably has it. My next project is going to be either a BSA A-10 or A-7....or maybe the 1970 Triumph Daytona that is sitting on the sencond floor of the "archives" in the back of his museum.

I am reluctant to give out his name or contact info but if you want I can check on a bike if you give me more info on what you are looking for..ie...What years? BSA or Triumph? What model?? Looking for a clean rider or a domplete restorable project??

Hope this is at least a start. All the members here on Triumphrat.net from Kansas will know who I am talking about!!

·
Super Moderator
13,542 Posts
Check my website in the bike & projects for sale section; I've got several running and non-running to choose from.

I can also do any or all of the make-run, refurbishing & restoration.

Cycletrader often has some good deals, too; you just need to look...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Check out craiglist.org, wantaddigest.com for starters. Sometimes they have good deals on there. I got my little cb200 off craigslist- it was just buried in some guys garage with a bunch of other projects he didn't want anymore.

Good luck, and if you find a Norton- its mine! :razz:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Take a look at eBay, theres a guy somewhere in New York area selling three basket case Commandos as a job lot, if I were in the area I'd be interested in them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TravThrux: I’m pretty open to just about anything as long as it’s got matching numbers and pretty close to stock. My preferences lean towards a T120, late 60’s, early 70’s, but so do apparently everyone else’s… or a Norton Commando (Yeah! – Tealetm). A bike that runs - but needs work. I imagine your lead in Kansas has contacts in the North East?

GPZ: Thanks; I’ll check your collection.

Daveforty: I check ebay every few days- I'll look again. BTW: there is an article in one of the motorcycle magazines this month about a displaced Brit or Irishman who has a garage in Alphabet City (NYC- lower East side) and is involved with vintage Brit bikes. Mission for the weekend.

I'll keep digging... Something is bound to come up!

Thanks again for your responses. And keep those suggestions coming.

John

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have done this with good success, but that was in the 1980s. Give this a shot,never know. Place a add in local trader magazine;" Wanted. Old British motorcycle for parts or restoration". I got good resposes example:1968BSA650was sitting in man's garage, his son started working on it and left it there after giving up! Got it for $150. 2 !966 Triumph 650.Man bought a bsaket case for his wife to ride nver got it running.In fact he never did anything to it and did not know what came in the boxes. I got it all for $400, in the boxes were NEW parts including mufflers that were purchased from a dealer close out. The new parts alone came to $400!; 3 A man moved out of his parents house, when he was a teenager his parents did not want him to have a bike, so he hid it in the back field under some other 'junk'. we dug it out. got it for $20!! Half of it was buried in the mud! 4: fathers son worked on 650BSA in his metal shed,couldn't get it running. Condensation got to it over the years, it looked so bad I offered him $40, he argued for more but that was all I would give him. It had brand new pistons ,cylender bore and top end overhaul,never started! 5 Landlord wanted 'junk motorcycle removed from tenants garage to sell property. tenant abandoned 750Norton,kids spraypainted entir one side with silver spray paint. $50 and I pushed it home. 6: man bought 650preunit BSA for wife,had too many problems and slightly dismantled $150. 7: 500 Triumoh sat outside for years $75.
I always acted like the certain bike was not worth restoring(A lot of people thought it could be a treasure to me) and I would explain "all I could use was this or that parts and would have to 'do a lot of work' just to get what could be used. That always gave me an edge.
One bike did get away from me, a 650basket, i would not pay $150 and he kept it in the shed. It may still be there!
My present ride 1959Triumph650: Left in friends garage for years,chopped and neglected. He wanted $1000 for it. I waited 6 months after offering $400 for it.He called and said "OK its yours for $400. That was in 1999.
A person I work with has a non running stock 76 750Triumph, He has been offered various amonts for it, but in the 13 years I have worked with him,he still will not part with it.Plus he never works on it, "some day" he always says. For the last 13 years I have been 'whittling' on him ocassionaly mentioning 'all the work it would take to get it running' using examples of the pieces from the 59 I bring in to the shop for repair or cleaning.
Since the internet makes pricing of older bikes much higher than they are worth, you may need to be a bit 'less interested' in your find. Good luck, your bike is out there!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally found one!!!

She's a '69 T100C. I'll post some pics soon (soon as I figure out how).

Thank you all for your encouragement and suggestions.

John.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts