Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evenin' all,

I am changing my handle bars and need a longer upper front brake hose TBS has a 'splitter' mounted on the lower triple tree). Fortunately the clutch side has some slack if needed for re-routing (at least for this iteration).

Mine is 14 3/4" center of eye to center of eye. I am thinking a 16-18" length will work (I just need ~3/4", but more is okay here).

It looks like this may be a standard diameter for Trumph (at least the banjo fitting, which is all that counts), as the banjo bolt for the Thunderbird, TBS, and Trophy are all the same. So a hose from another model may fit. The www.bikebandit.com list doesn't show lengths. Anyone have a hose gathering dust?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I actually do have a hose gathering dust, but it's probably too long. Its from my tbird standard when I had a low bar kit on it. Since there is no splitter, the hose is much longer than what you require. (34 inches) I will give it to you if you want to reimburse me the cost of shipping. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

A couple of thoughts, and both involve replacement brakelines from either Goodridge or Earls. You could have a new longer top hose made up to replace the line from the splitter to the master cylinder (a lot of motorcycle/motor factors make these hoses up all the time, although I have normally used the Goodridge factory here in the UK, but I think they are a US company). The lines can be made to various appearances, and you can match your existing brake lines. They have the specs for all/most bikes, and you can tell them to add 2", etc.....

Another alternative (and I have used this on my Sprint) is to get the "sport" kit version of the Goodridge replacement brakelines - these are two lines, each going direct to the calipers from the master cylinder - this does away with the splitter. You may see these advertised as the two line kit, as against the three line version.

Ciao,
Geoff

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good ideas. I went to the bone yard Saturday and bought two different length lines off of wet (don't want any rust) brakes. I figured I need to see what length I really need versus think I need.

I put one in ~2" longer, fits very nicely. It has both ends with staight (the TBS line has the MC end with a ~30 degre bend) banjo ends and it fits very nicely.

Now to take the bike to the ground and see if the slight tweak in the front end is simply an alignment issue or something bent. I have seen how easy it is to bend forks in the past, but am hopeful.

Then I can see how the new bars fit. When they are right I will order the correct braided line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts