Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
After a few weeks of ownership I notice that when I am on the motorway and cruise at 70 mph I am looking for another gear to get the revs to drop a little.
Has any one else felt like this? And what have you done? Dropped a few teeth of the rear sprocket or may increased a tooth on the front?
Hope I'm not alone ha ha
MonkeyHanger

·
Registered
140 Posts
I installed a Gear Indicator, so I always know in which gear I'm in.
I do understand it doesn't bring the revs down though. On the otherhand I rather get the revs up. :sneaky:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Prior to me installing a Gear Indicator I often found myself riding my ST for miles in 5th gear because the bike is soo smooth and I don't spend much time looking at the clocks so for me the ratios are perfect. I once changed to a smaller rear sprocket on my 5 speed Suzuki which dropped the revs a few hundred at highway speed but made the bike un rideable most everywhere else, especially around town. Seems as the engineers spec'd the ratios perfectly so I quickly returned to factory spec.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hi all,
After a few weeks of ownership I notice that when I am on the motorway and cruise at 70 mph I am looking for another gear to get the revs to drop a little.
Has any one else felt like this? And what have you done? Dropped a few teeth of the rear sprocket or may increased a tooth on the front?
Hope I'm not alone ha ha
MonkeyHanger
Did you check you have the stock sprocket size?

Apart from that I did put a gear indicator, tired of trying to shift in 7e.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you check you have the stock sprocket size?

Apart from that I did put a gear indicator, tired of trying to shift in 7e.
Thats a great call I have a 19t left over from my Speed Triple days, if the previous owner has gone to 18t I may be sorted without any outlay cool.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,
Hope I'm not alone ha ha
MonkeyHanger

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh gosh this did my head on my old 2000 RS. I started to think I was incompetent as I was tapping up a gear that was not there.
Has 43 teeth on the back and 19 on the front.

·
Vendor
150 Posts
Heh - I used to try to shift into 7th all the time on my little TZ125. It was geared short for my fat ass, so it would top out about halfway down the back straight at Shannonville!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I use 19T on mine, lots of people complain it's too tall but like you said, that 6th gear...
They changed the ratio on the GT for 6th so it actually does something other than look impressive on a sales brochure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all,
Hope I'm not alone ha ha
MonkeyHanger
There has always been want for just one more gear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just checked I am on standard gearing so may look at dropping a few teeth of the rear sprocket. :( Or think more and stop looking for 7th when I know I am in 6th. Other than that I love my new 10 year old ST.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
You may compare the 6th ration between ST and GT: 1,074 for the ST and 1 for the GT
The final drive ratio is 42/19=2,211.
So in 6th the overall ratio is 2.37x1.750 for the ST and 2.211x1.750 for the GT.
If you want to have the same ratio as for the GT in 6th you have to have a 42/1.074=39 teeth rear sprocket.
The effective change is 42/39=1.077 (instead of 1.074).

But it will affect all the gears though.
For instance the first gear will be equivalent to 2.538 instead of 2.773 hence pulling less when departing.
So it will be tougher on the clutch.

For reference here are the ratios. ST on left and GT on right

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
Hope I'm not alone ha ha
MonkeyHanger
Dropping a few teeth on rear sprocket will lower RPM in top gear however it will also reduce acceleration through all gears. Why the worry ? The bike is not anywhere near red line in top gear at 70 and the vibration should also be minimal. Let the bike rev ! it will not hurt it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts