Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to look at a TBS this week. The owner says he has only ridden it 2 or 3 times this year. Do you think it has been sitting long enough to mess up the carbs? I was thinking of draining the tank and putting fresh gas and StarTron in it before a test drive or do you think this unnecessary? Other then rust is there anything else to watch out for with a bike being ridden little for a year?

Mutt

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
If it idles steadily, then the carbs should be fine. The battery could be an issue if it has been left uncharged for significant periods of time.

·
Registered
694 Posts
tbs

Mutt: You've got a 50/50 chance of it running ok. Depends on whether or not Ethanol has been run in it. 2 or 3 times per year is not enough unless they ran at least a full tank thru it. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. tommyturbo2

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mutt: You've got a 50/50 chance of it running ok. Depends on whether or not Ethanol has been run in it. 2 or 3 times per year is not enough unless they ran at least a full tank thru it. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. tommyturbo2
I know this would be a guess but if it is running rough would running some StarTron clear it up? If not is cleaning the carbs an involved/hard job to do for a novice wrench turner?

Thanks
Mutt

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
If you buy the bike, you won't be a "novice wrench turner" for long.

The good news is that all the info is here and the TBS is arguably the nicest motorcycle Triumph has ever made.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Great now I'm scared! LOL

Mutt
BE AFRAID VERY VERY AFRAID.The guys on this forum even turned a dumb carpenter like me into a 1/2 @ss mechanic.These bikes are relatively easy to work on if you take your time and do some reaserch on this site.Oh yea what to be afraid of, once you start to work on these bikes it kind of gets addictive.:eek:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there anything on an '04 TBS that would make you run away from it. It looks like it's been kept up well just by the looks, so I would assume the maintenance side was reasonably well taken care of also. Any real warning signs of trouble you guys would look for?

Thanks
Mutt

·
Registered
187 Posts
The chances of one of these bikes that gets rarely ridden being in excellent running condition is certainly small. But here's the good news. Rarely is there anything significant that's wrong. Have the carbs gone through by someone who knows their way around them, maybe the tank needs to have rust removed and new fuel filter, but a bit of patience and you'll have an amazing ride!! They are actually quite bullet proof.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Buy it you'll love it. Also if you need help, this forum is the place to ask. I can't even begin to describe how great fellow members are at answering questions and helping locate parts.

Sent from my LGL55C using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mutt,

Probably too late for the StarTron. My understanding of ST is that it should be added to the tank when filling, and supposedly it then prevents the E10 breakdown. I'd think the breakdown has already occurred, so I'd be more inclined to try Seafoam.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I'd think the breakdown has already occurred, so I'd be more inclined to try Seafoam.
Agreed, especially if the bike has been run that little.

Go to the test ride with the expectation that the bike won't be running right (if at all) and be very pleasantly surprised if it is.

If it's running crappy, SOMETIMES filling the tank with a good detergent gas such as Mobil Premium, throwing in a small amount of Seafoam, and running it with occasional bursts of wide open throttle will show SOME improvement after only a few miles. Don't bank on it, though.

Be afraid of the gas in the tank, not the bike. Thunderbird Sports are really, really nice bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts