Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Late to this party, but I want to share my thoughts. Bought a set of Woodcraft 1-1/2 inch clip ons for my 2013 Thruxton, plus a Motodemic lay-flat gauge bracket. I picked up a set of 41mm headlight ears on eBay and a Motone rectifier relocator. I had been riding a set of DCC "Speed" bars for several months and actually liked the position. I'm a tall guy (6'4") and the lowered bars both feel right and enable me to be less of a human air brake. When I first installed the DCC bars, I realized that my natural tendency to hug the tank with my knees increased; more knee pressure was necessary in part to use my core to lighten the load on my wrists. I had been contemplating knee grips for a while, but I told myself I'd wait until I managed to rub the finish on my tank to the point that I needed to cover up the marks. I didn't really like the Triumph logo aftermarket tank pads or the Union flag ones I saw online. Then I spotted the TechSpecs snakeskin tank grips -- very clean and plain-looking. Also, they're about half the thickness of the others. Once I installed the grips, it was all sunshine. :)

Mounted the clip ons a few weeks ago. Moved the rectifier and horn, ditched the stock headlight ear setup, lowered the headlight not quite two inches, and torqued it all up. Position is almost identical to the DCC bars, but the bike looks so much better. Handling is ever so slightly "heavier" but if feels "correct." And with the tank grips, there's no wrist strain at all. Did a 400-mile-plus ride a couple of weekends back and it was a joy. Controls swapped right over with no issues and no throttle binding. Easy enough to switch back to riser bars If I were ever so inclined (but I doubt I will be).

If you're contemplating clip ons, don't hesitate. Woodcrafts are sweeeeeeeet.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.