Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I'm going to look at a used 2000 S3 tomorrow that has 25000km (15000 miles). I am wondering if there is anything unique I should look out for and what maintence should have been done for the km it has on the clock, such as valves.

Thanks a lot.

Curtis

·
Registered
175 Posts
I believe the valves are due at 12,000 miles. That will run you some buck if you have the dealer do it. There have been issues with the clutch cable breaking at the lever end. I keep a spare under my seat. If you plan to do your own maintenance make sure you dont mix up the rear fairing bolts. If you use the rear bolt in the front hole you'll puncture the Poly gas tank DAMHIK.

I had a premature upper head stock bearing failure at 8k due to improper adjustment. Replaced it with a tapered bearing and its been trouble free since.

Other than that they are great bikes. If the person has maint. records it always nice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The fittings on the fuel-lines to the tank. Factory recall replaces the plastic fittings with metal ones.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I took a look at it yesterday, really nice bike. Did have a small oil leak. Any ideas? It looked to me that it was leaking from where that wire is coming out.

And thanks guys for all the info. Assuming that leak isn't a big deal I'll probably be getting the bike.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
That would be the neutral switch - is a common leak point.
There is an M10 sealing washer behind it.

Other common leak around there is through the side-stand mounting bolts - seriously! These are often porous in the threads of the crankcase for the bolts. I know that sound incredulous but reported many times! Clean throughly and apply some sealer to the threads.
I actually have leak through one of the sprocket cover mounting holes on my later engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Other common leak around there is through the side-stand mounting bolts - seriously! These are often porous in the threads of the crankcase for the bolts. I know that sound incredulous but reported many times! Clean throughly and apply some sealer to the threads.
I actually have leak through one of the sprocket cover mounting holes on my later engine.
Thanks for the info! I assume its not a big deal to put in a new sealing washer?

The side stand bolt leaking sounds like when we told new guys in a car shop to go lube the muffler bearing.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
T...The side stand bolt leaking sounds like when we told new guys in a car shop to go lube the muffler bearing.
That honestly wasn't a joke though - sounds like it could be but did qualify it by saying incredulous.
Either way (neutral switch or side-stand bolts), the fix is not difficult.
A useful asset in identifying parts breakdown is to go to BikeBandit
- Enter year & model then you can pull up the fiche where the neutral switch reports - (it's under the gear selector drum fiche).
Just note that the BB part numbers are not Triumph OEM part numbers!
If you order from BB incidentally (other than this 76c item!) you get a 10% discount as they are a TriumphRat.net site sponsor.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Other common leak around there is through the side-stand mounting bolts - seriously!

Just came across this post Decosse thanks. My 98 Daytona is leaking in that exact place . I looked and looked and scratched my head now I Know.

·
Registered
453 Posts
When buying a used bike always look at the stops on the steering head. They aren't easy to find or see, but they are there up under the instrument cluster. They are positive stops for the steering (i.e. the bike can't turn sharper than these stops allow) Look at the face of these stops, if the paint is chipped off or they are damaged in any way the bike has probably been in a serious incident. They don't get damaged in normal use. If they are ok it doesn't guarantee anything, but damage is a guarantee that the bike has seen trouble.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
When buying a used bike always look at the stops on the steering head. ... They are positive stops for the steering (i.e. the bike can't turn sharper than these stops allow) ...
That's a good one to check 03Speed3

On the Speed Triples they are actually on the the bottom of the steering head (fixed stops) and the corresponding ones are on the top side of the bottom triple clamp.

Sprints are exception on the Triples - their stop is part of the upper triple clamp and operates against fixed stops on the top of the steering head.

·
Registered
74 Posts

DEcosse, my bike has oil on the same area. Could you please explain where is that sealing washer?. I've seen bikebandit gear selector drum drawing, but I still don't know where it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts