Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Look what I've found, '59 what? Don’t know what price yet, maybe for sale. I I've a feeling there may be a problem with the matching engine numbers T120 (0)34909. The number are off what I believe is a '59 Bonnie. The stamped numbers are bigger than mine on the engine and frame. Help please guys.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Avoid the 'Bonneville' at all costs........ not what it pretends to be! Man, is that seat scarry or what???
Roy.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It does not start with a 3 . it starts with a zero, that aint there .My 59 is numbered 026xxx. It looks slike the Zero is missing on the engine. I had a 67 that was number T120DU489xx and the title just had T120 DU 489, after clearing it through the OSP I just put bondo over the xx. In Ohio at that time they told me it wasn't that out of the ordinary for a number or two to be dropped from the title. I would raise the issue with the seller, so to get it cheaper and from what I can see, unless I'm missing something you see, wouldn't worry about it. But that;s just me; Someone needs to elaborate on 'stay away or looks fishy,

·
Registered
62 Posts
According to the serial number chart on the Triumph Int. Owner's Club website, the highest number for a 1959 is 029633, so 034909 just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There is no 0(zero) on those numbers. Love to know where they come from? Most aspects of the bike are more or less right for that years carbs and so no, paint colour etc but very unusual engine and frame numbers. What should one do?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Here's how I see it ... if you're shopping for a '59 Bonnie, move on. If he's trying to sell it as a '59 Bonnie and wants '59 Bonnie money for it, move on. However, it's a great start on what could be a super cool bike. If you want it and the price is right ... buy it. Make sure it has a title, or offer to buy it contingent on being able to get one.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great, show us, pretty please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you registered it with TOMCC?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey HeavyG. List your bikes in your profile please.

Put some photos in the current member’s photos forum.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
HeavyG. The last 1959 SEASON T120 is 029689 built 29th December 1959. The LAST and HIGHEST 'O' series number is T120 030419 built 30th September 1959 but is a 1960 MODEL.

The bike Busy found has number 34909 which relates to a 6T dispatched to New Zealand on 24th December 1952?????????

Roy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks DAGAD, I was only reiterating what I found on the TIOC website, though I was pretty sure that all the '59 Bonnie numbers started with 02****. So I guess the question now is how do you put a value on this bike?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Because the numbers are NOT CORRECT it's a 'bitsa' and really has no value except for parts. Trying to register it would be a real problem, here in England, as the engine number DOES NOT EXIST.
Roy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
over on this side of the planet we can't be too fussy ,not too many
pre units still original bikes ,as long as the price is what we're willing to pay and it can be registered and it makes all the right noises
we're happy :D

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
eye of the beholder

Fascinating to read your posts. I normallly hibernate in Cafe Club or Twin Talk. But I have been looking at a Triton or possibly new (refurb but with many new parts) Norvin Norton Atlas-based cafe racer - at £8k Uk pounds. Makes me realise that obsession with detail and originality is clearly something a small minority of people yearn for. That t120 bitsa is probably a great ride, and good fun, negotiable price too probably. Yet some people think it is not worthy. Worthy of what?? How does a Triton or Tribsa or Norvin rate? Are they not worthy? Yet they command significant following and prices. I think in this day and age more and more people are realising that there is value, fun and value retention to be had in older stuff that is not exactly how it came out of the factory. I used to insist on originality. Now I just want to be original, and have a good ride! Go for it, buy the bike, enjoy it in the knowledge that 0.00000000000000000000001% of the population know it is not original, and nor do they care! Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I think it was directed at me, GPZ...... not you?
Firstly a 1959 T120 Bonneville IS UNIQUE. If someone has made a copy and says it's a copy then fine. However if the engine and or frame numbers DO NOT EXIST, that's FRAUD...... how ever you look at it.

Moving on to Triton, TriBSA, Norvin, etc. They are also UNIQUE and were / are not a production machine, but again if the numbers don't exist, it's fraud. Don't care how you look at it, the number on that engine DOES NOT EXIST.

Sorry if I'm shouting but that's how I see it. One interesting thing the T120 Bonnevilles registered for the Bonneville Celebration, the raffle bike at the Hall of Fame Museum and the Baxter Cycle bike are all matching and correct. So, I don't believe that ALL the pre units over there have miss matched engine & frames.
Roy.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks Guys, What makes this bike VERY SPECIAL (as with all bikes) I think it is the UNIQUNESS, the history of its ORIGIN, The REARNESS, and the MEER NUMBERS that exist today and perhaps lastly and perhaps most INPORTANTLY the CORRECTNESS IN EVERY POSIBLE WAY, with CORRECTLY LISTED MATCHING MANUFACTURS NUMBERS which makes any bike a good investment and COMANDS SUCH HIGH PRICES.

Who knows how many have survived out of how many built. That is WHY it's so INPORTANT to REGISTER your bikes With the TOMCC UK. Remember that next year it will be 1960 models and the year after that 1961 and then 1962 and the last of the pre-units. You know that some days I feel so good, that sometimes it just feels like last year or just the other day it was back in the 60s. (lol)

Where this particular bike is going to find its self in history is another story.

For your interest I have been researching 1959 Bonneville sales in the last few years. It I think mostly depends where the bike is listed and the CORRECTNESS and CONDITION. I.e. well advertised auction house etc. That I will make another topic at a later stage. In basic the prices have ranged from $ 11750 in January 2007 - $ 28000 in November 2007, showing the importance of CORRECTNESS and CONDITION.

As it is these decals are in the wrong places.
Someone elsewhere on this forum said "collect old technical books you will double your money" (or something like that) I must agree you will make your money back as long as it’s CORRECT in good condition and INDEMAND.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts