Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

It has finally stopped raining and is slowly starting to get warmer here in MS. As a result I'm start'n to get two-wheel fever; I can hardly stand it. I'm wanting a serious all day/weekend trip. I've had my bike for a year, so I'm kind of a newbie, but my question is:

What is the longest ride/trip you folks have ever taken on the bonnie, and what is your secret??...

At best, I can handle about three to four hours of continuous riding, tops, before I have to get off and stretch and chill for a little-bit.

Thanks, :upthumb:

I hear the train a-come'n. It's come'n round the bend; And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

·
Registered
01 Bonnie, 12 Tiger
248 Posts
2600 miles in 6 days on a naked Bonnie. Padded bike shorts and refoamed my seat with super cell atomic foam from Sargents.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Stockport (NW England) to Le Cap-d'Agde (south coast of France) clocked 962 miles in a time of 23 hours 55 minutes.
This including the ferry crossing over the English channel and a 2 hour sleep on a grass verge just outside Paris.
This was on a '77 T140V 750cc Triumph Bonneville.

[ This message was edited by: English_Spanner on 2007-03-07 12:18 ]

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
On 2007-03-06 23:39, FATCAT wrote:
At best, I can handle about three to four hours of continuous riding, tops, before I have to get off and stretch and chill for a little-bit.
Wow, how do you manage to ride that long without stopping for gas? :)

In my experience, the trick to longer rides is simply to take breaks. When you stop for gas, get a cup of coffee or a soda as well, or just walk around for a few minutes and stretch your legs. Or if while you're riding you come across a nice place to stop for a few minutes, go ahead and do so even if you don't need gas yet. There's no need to be hurried... just take your time and stop for a few minutes whenever you feel like it.

I also make a point of stopping for a decent lunch in the middle of the day. I don't just wolf down a burger while standing next to the bike, I sit down somewhere and eat comfortably.

Factor all this in when deciding on destinations and timing, and just stay within your limits. As you gain experience, those limits will increase.

--mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, you got me there, I wasn't thinking about fuel stops. As I said, I have the fever for a long trip. I wasn't thinking clearly. :???: I walk past Bonnie every mornig and hang my head in shame.

I'd have to stop for fuel about every 140-150 miles. So that's about 2 to 2-1/2 hours; depending on speed. Bonnie is bone stock except for a 18T sprocket.

My longest day road trip so far has been about two tanks worth; including the loop back home.

I have been wanting to take a trip down to New Orleans; then East along the coast and loop back. I haven't been there since Katrina. I used to spend a lot of time there when I was a kid. I'm kinda curious.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have done 600 mile days. You need a new seat at least a king and queen. Stop for gas every 100 miles avg walk around strech out you will be fine. Bring a rain suit don't let rain stop ya

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
On 2007-03-07 00:28, mjs3800 wrote:
2600 miles in 6 days on a naked Bonnie. Padded bike shorts and refoamed my seat with super cell atomic foam from Sargents.
Lot of miles per day. wow.

+1 on the padded shorts. I wear forcefield action shorts under my bike pants. Good padding (armour). If ya don't refoam at least get a sheepskin for the seat. Both make a huge diff in comfort. Can ride all day with only stops for gas, food.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My longest trip in one day was not on my Bonneville. My longest trip was when I was in the Army stationed in Kansas and I came home to Virginia on leave. I was riding a 1987 BMW K-75S at the time and travelled 1,268 miles in 21 hours straight. I basically only stopped for gas, and ate gas station food at each stop. I don't recommend this however, I was TOTALLY exhausted when I arrived home.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Lately, my longest day rides were on the old R100GS. 650-675 mile days. My longest day on the Bonneville was approx 550 miles from LaCrosse, WI to Wauseon, OH. The Bonnie fits me well, even with the stock saddle.

I'm off every 60-100 miles to take a quick stretch.

Bob

·
Registered
486 Posts
2200 miles in four days, with the longest day being about ~640 miles from Zion National Park to Denver. That was really pushing it, as I had to go through Vail Pass in October. I would not do such a thing again without a better seat and heated clothing. Thankfully, I did have a huge Parabellum Sport Shield, which made wind not an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts