Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am a very happy owner of a 2017 Street Scrambler, but I would like to upgrade the forks in order to be even happier! My goal is to make the bike taller and increase the fork travel if possible. I have already upgraded my rear shocks to longer ones (from 360mm to 390mm) and I like the geometry and handling. My question is if I can replace the stock stanchions, which I believe are 641mm long (please correct me if I'm wrong) with longer ones. Will I need to replace the fork spring or just install a longer spacer?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am a very happy owner of a 2017 Street Scrambler, but I would like to upgrade the forks in order to be even happier! My goal is to make the bike taller and increase the fork travel if possible. I have already upgraded my rear shocks to longer ones (from 360mm to 390mm) and I like the geometry and handling. My question is if I can replace the stock stanchions, which I believe are 641mm long (please correct me if I'm wrong) with longer ones. Will I need to replace the fork spring or just install a longer spacer?

Thanks for the advice!
Why dont you sell it and buy a scrambler xc

·
Registered
254 Posts
Check out Freespirits, they do a +30mm fork kit that increases fork height and travel by 30mm, works really well and no need for new fork stanchions.

Reactions: stuarth

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check out Freespirits, they do a +30mm fork kit that increases fork height and travel by 30mm, works really well and no need for new fork stanchions.
It is certainly an option! However, a new pair of stanchions, especially a cartridge one, will be much, much better than the stock forks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is certainly an option! However, a new pair of stanchions, especially a cartridge one, will be much, much better than the stock forks.
I hadn't heard of the Free Spirits kit until Mike mentioned it in a post that I had started. Highly recommended- very simple devices- basically 30mm spacers that fit under the damper rods so you get increased travel and a taller front end. I got lucky and found a set on ebay. Added RT Emulators and fork springs and have been very pleased with the taller front end and greatly improved ride and handling. Mine is a 2014 mag wheel Bonneville so I wanted increased height front and back for added side-to-side clearance. Total for the front end was $300 when all was said and done- quite inexpensive in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hadn't heard of the Free Spirits kit until Mike mentioned it in a post that I had started. Highly recommended- very simple devices- basically 30mm spacers that fit under the damper rods so you get increased travel and a taller front end. I got lucky and found a set on ebay. Added RT Emulators and fork springs and have been very pleased with the taller front end and greatly improved ride and handling. Mine is a 2014 mag wheel Bonneville so I wanted increased height front and back for added side-to-side clearance. Total for the front end was $300 when all was said and done- quite inexpensive in the grand scheme of things.
Thanks for your feedback! Did you drill the damper rod for the emulators to work properly? Also, how hard was that infamous damper rod bottom bolt to remove?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for your feedback! Did you drill the damper rod for the emulators to work properly? Also, how hard was that infamous damper rod bottom bolt to remove?
Damper rods drilled. This is the 6th bike that I've installed the Emulators on actually. I used an air impact wrench to remove the damper bolt (fluid drained, fork cap on). It took a couple of minutes and I was a bit worried that I'd round out the hex bolt, but they finally gave way and there was no damage to the bolts. .

As for the Free Spirits kit, I got lucky (doesn't happen often...). According to their website they only sell to installers but I found someone selling a kit on ebay. The kit is simple- two 30mm spacers that go in before the damper rod, and longer bolts. You don't even have to separate the fork tubes. I actually went with Progressive brand fork springs and (I believe) 15 wt fork oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damper rods drilled. This is the 6th bike that I've installed the Emulators on actually. I used an air impact wrench to remove the damper bolt (fluid drained, fork cap on). It took a couple of minutes and I was a bit worried that I'd round out the hex bolt, but they finally gave way and there was no damage to the bolts. .

As for the Free Spirits kit, I got lucky (doesn't happen often...). According to their website they only sell to installers but I found someone selling a kit on ebay. The kit is simple- two 30mm spacers that go in before the damper rod, and longer bolts. You don't even have to separate the fork tubes. I actually went with Progressive brand fork springs and (I believe) 15 wt fork oil.
Thank you for your input, I think I will go down this path with emulators + 30mm spacers. Having already raised the rear part of the motorcycle, the bike leans significantly more on the side stand. My question is if the side stand will be able to handle a raised front as well, and if not, what would you suggest?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you for your input, I think I will go down this path with emulators + 30mm spacers. Having already raised the rear part of the motorcycle, the bike leans significantly more on the side stand. My question is if the side stand will be able to handle a raised front as well, and if not, what would you suggest?
Not sure about the scrambler. I bought a T100 sidestand that I found on ebay, but it doesn't fit my mag wheel Bonneville as-is. As a temporary fix I added a ~3/4" thick piece of slider plastec under the sidestand "foot" to compensate for the height increase. I'll likely have he stock stand modified by cutting it and welding a 1" extension onto it. Or I may just leave it as-is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts