Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just spent a very unproductive couple of hours trying to install my new 10" mini apes. (Christmas present from The Chosen One)

I put these on all my cruisers as they give me a better wrist angle and better fit my 6'7" frame.

Shazam.....my original eyesight check of cable lengths was out and the clutch cable is toooooo tight when turning the bars. I looked at rerouting but nothing appears practical.

I doubt anyone will be making 2" over cables for the Touring as yet, so does anyone know if the Touring shares the same clutch cable as the Standard and Classic.

Is there anyone making overlength cables for the Rocket?

I also posted this on the R3 Touring Owners forum, just in case...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TRIIICK. I have found out that Barnett make clutch cables to any length. I'm getting CruiserCustomizing to order 2" over Touring cables coz I've got an order with them currently for a Showchrome Tireguard and Brakeaway throttle control.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks TRIIICK, frightening article. I appreciate your concern, but I'm not making this change because I want the bike to look "prettier, but because I have to, if I want to ride. I'm also not making major configuration changes.

The stock bars contact my knees badly, so I either have to not make any turns at roundabouts, tilt them up significantly which creates a very uncomfortable and unstable wrist angle, or replace them. Options 1 and 2 simply won't work.

I'm not installing risers, the apes are only 10", which is not much taller than the stock Touring bars. They are indeed 2" wider than stock. If "basic high school physics" say that this is going to cause my handlebars to fall off, then I'm just going to have to grin and bear it.

Any "safer" ideas would most certainly be considered, but I have no alternative than to make some kind of handlebar change if I want to ride.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Peter i know what your going through, in 2001 a good buddy of mine was going through the same deal. He bought the 2001 Silver Anniversary Indian Chief at 6'6"+ there was nothing on the market that met his needs. He spent months looking for a resolution. It was just coincidence we were riding near our old high school when we bumped into our old metal shop teacher at the local coffee shop. One thing led to another in conversation and he told the shop teacher about his dilemma. He told him to swing by his house on a Saturday and ended up designing an unbelievably wide set of Beach Bars. He custom built them and no matter where we went they stole the show. He enjoyed riding so much that he moved his painting business to Florida, I meet him in Daytona every March .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts