Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, big bird to Barcelona on Thursday, I'm going to bring my ZZR1200 back to the UK. Couple of jobs to sort out on it, and I might see if I can sell/px it. Got my eye on the Z1000SX. did think about another Speed Triple, or a Sprint.
So I'm going straight through the middle of Spain, overnight in Siguenza, quite near Madrid, then a bit of a detour to get me one or two nights in the Picos de Europa, northern mountain range. From there it's only about 70 miles to the overnight ferry from Santander Monday afternoon, back up from Portsmouth on Tuesday. Play nicely while I'm gone. :laugh2:

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
I moved back to the US from Germany back in 1999. I had only been riding motorcycles for maybe four years at that time, and really only traveling by motorcycle the last two. There are so many places in Europe I wish I had taken the chance to ride to. My only trip into Spain was San Sebastian while at a HOG rally in Biarritz, France. I wish I had more time in Europe to ride around.

I hope you have a great trip!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, all the balls are in play :frown2: french ATC on strike again, flight cancelled. Not sure what will happen.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just possibly, there is a God! I'm on tomorrow's flight, looks like the cheese eating surrender monkeys have called off the weekend strike, so hopefully I'll be at the apartment tomorrow evening. Brittany Ferries moved me to Wednesday at no cost. Bonus here-I should wind up getting a day and a half extra, as the next ferrry was two days away from mine, and this one goes to Plymouth, which means it doesn't leave Spain until 9 in the evening. We live in hope! :smile2:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, sorry for the delay in updating, been very busy.
Had a fantastic ride despite a few naughty moments from the bike. Not many "action" pics as it's not easy to stop on some of these roads and to be honest at the time you just want to keep riding!
Left the Med coast on Monday morning, my place is halfway between Valencia and Barcelona. I go up the N-232 towards Zaragoza, turning off at the delightful old walled town of Morella. Not a great pic, but that castle on the top was built by the Moors.

Following minor roads until I hit the N-211 towards Madrid, this was one of the best bits of the trip. Fast, smooth, curvy roads where I never went below 80 mph, and no traffic. I finished up spending the night in Siguenza, another very old town in La Mancha. Pretty quiet place! Nice cathedral though.

Will post a bit more later. :smile2:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, bit of a cheat here, but I thought to give a bit more of a flavour of the riding, I'd post one or two "library" pics of the N-232 which I've travelled a fair bit. Try to imagine a couple of hundred miles of this and you're sort of there. :smile2:

My old 1200 Bandit on here

This is the old girl I did the ride on.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ooops, got a bit sidetracked with this EU malarkey.
So, next morning I continued northwest towards the Picos de Europa. More of the same: sunshine, scenery, sublime roads and pretty much no one else around. Arrived in the mountains around late lunchtime, unfortunately during rush hour.....

Stopped at the top of the pass for a little photoshoot

then down a long descent into Potes for a shower, beer and a pizza.
Nice spot, but the roads around here are so narrow and choked with tourist buses. If I'm honest, as mountain riding goes I'd not go again. The Italian Dolomites for one are far superior, mainly because you can actually ride on the roads. Still very nice though, and only an hour from the ferry.

Next morning I took the coast road for the ferry, towards Santillana del Mar, another tourist honeypot I'm afraid. This is Comillas, looked nice there but a sea mist spoilt the pic somewhat.

And as ever, get to the ferry and there's always something interesting. This is all original, the 72 year old guy has owned it from new, paid £680.00 for it in about 1980. He's done 130,000 miles on it. More power to his elbow.

And I got home safe and sound, bike is now in bits sorting out all the niggles that could have spoilt things. But on those roads in that weather, you can't do anything but enjoy.
:smile2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts