Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw Ventura off on his epic voyage from Lands End to John O'Groats via Ireland this morning. We took some pictures and I captured a short video clip and he rode off towards Fishguard being the first day's target. I accompanied him for about 70miles then peeled off towards home.

It was a good day, and I enjoyed the ride. Graeme's riding style was a bit more full-on than mine, but I think I kept up OK :eek:

Andy

pics here: http://homepage.mac.com/sfb_dot_com/On_Location/
and I'll probably pop one or tw on my album here, or in the pictures forum.
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0S3FL3Kjas

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Cheers Andy - do you know when he is getting towards Dunoon and.....well enough said.........not heard from him ......is he posting updates?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Andy - do you know when he is getting towards Dunoon and.....well enough said.........not heard from him ......is he posting updates?
He said that he was hoping to get a broadband wireless connection for his laptop when he caught the fast ferry (hopefully) to Rosslare sometime tonight, so he may be picking up emails and stuff from then. I suggested he might try a Blog. There was no date given for Dunoon. All was to some extent dependant on the fast ferry (the vomit comet) running. If cancelled, he'll be on the next ferry which doesn't run until 2am next morning.

pm me if you want his mobile number

Hope that helps.

Andy

·
Registered
161 Posts
Met Ventura this morning at the Rosslare hotel, took him back to our house for a coffee and to meet Mrs Sprocket, then rode with him to New Ross. Took photos of the Dunbrody 'famine' ship which transported the starving Irish to America in the 1850's, that's why most of you guys across the pond have Irish ancestors. It was a nice sunny/windy day, a very pleasant ride.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Thanks chaps for the kind words and good wishes.

Im still alive!!
Just short of 1000 miles completed now, and only 1500 more to go!!

Ive now reached Kenmare in SW Ireland, having completed the run down to Lands End from home, the Day2 run to Fishguard in Wales from lands End, and todays run across the southern coast of Ireland.

All without any major issues so far and some very enjoyable meet-ups along the way.
Many thanks to AndyB and Sprocket! Its certainly good to put faces to names and great company too!!

Ive uploaded my 3 days routes here.........

Day1

Day2

Day3

Im presently using a very expensive internet connection in the hotel Im in, so will hold back on posting more photo's till later.

Next on the agenda is a cold pint of the Black Stuff!!
Aaahhhaaaaaa!!:D

More to come when I next get on the web!!

Sofiaspin......... I should be getting the Ferry to Cairnryan on Fiday morning if it all goes to plan. Will be taking your advice and getting the Dunoon ferry.
Fancy a meet up?? You free??

V.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Graeme,

Please ton's of photo's. My grandfather came to the USA in 1912 from County Clare, where his family had a farm for generations, and still do. Have a tall pint for him, as he passed away a while back at 89 years old.

What kind of fuel economy are you seeing? Are you wishing you had a higher sprocket than the 17 tooth? Just kidding?

Watch out for livestock on the roads, as well as older gents seemingly just wandering around! Look forward to your timely reports.

Cheers, and good luck,

Bob

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hi Ventura - yes I could be free Friday late morning - are you getting the 7.30am ferry from Larne? What time do you anticipate arriving at Dunoon? You can pm details and I will see if it is possible. Might need to cancel a meeting but hey so what!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to hear the trip is going well. Your route across Ireland is very similar to the one we took in 2006, and you are now approaching some of the most scenic parts of the Emerald isle.

On a separate note, it turns out that I have much Irish blood in me. Both Great Grandfathers were Irish, one from Co. Mayo, and the other as yet untraced. Sadly Grandfather Thompson committed suicide, and his father was a career criminal who ended up in Dartmoor of all places. Surprisingly, it was then a model prison and we have a rare early photograph of him, looking a bit like a criminal really. So nothing to boast about there!

Diversions aside, it's good to hear all this stuff, so keep it coming Graeme!

Andy

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Well, I made it thro a day of not-so-good weather to clock up another 277 miles.
The west coast of Ireland is a great place to go touring and has some of the most wonderful scenery imaginable.
Unfortunately when the weather isn't good you dont get the full benefit of it all.
"Soft" rain and low cloud for most of the day unfortunately, but never unexpected in Ireland!

I had to make some adjustments to the itinerary to account for the slower going and so missed out on doing the more scenic routes.
Nevertheless, its was another great day and more miles under the belt!
Believe me, 277 miles on these roads is a long way!!

Tomorrow I head for Larne, just north of Belfast.
From there I get the ferry to Cairnryan for the start of the Scottish leg of the journey!

Here's a track of todays route, taking in counties Kerry, Clare, Galway and Mayo........

Im now in Ballina and looking forward to a pint of the black stuff, some local seafood and a big football match to watch on TV!!

Got to say, and hope Im not tempting fate, but the Scram is performing great! Ideal for all the "variable" conditions of the Irish minor roads and well up to the twisties and fast-blast sections too.
An ideal steed for something like this, but I would say that wouldnt I!!

Happy days!!

V.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well done Graeme was thinking bout you today with the wettish weather and the lack of visibility obstructing the scenery, quite an arduous trip. Glad the Scram is holding up well.
Enjoy the rest of your trip, take care.

Ian

·
Registered
425 Posts
Good luck with the trip, wish I was there..!!!!
I wentto school in Larne & lived 5 miles north at Ballygallly.

Last year I drove a Golf GT from Dublin to Cork, up to Limerick.
On to Galway & up to Belfast, then up the Antrim coast as far as Bushmills & back to Dublin in 6 days...5 really.
Had a ball & want to go back for another look, the most bikes I saw were up along whitepark rd & would be a must for bike riders.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Well, thats pretty amazing TerryK!
I'm in Ballygally right now!!
Staying at the Ballygally Castle hotel.
Small world eh!!

Just completed my Day5 run from Ballina, thro counties Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal, before crossing the border thro Derry and Antrim.

The roads today have been the best yet, allowing lots of enjoyable twisty and fast mile crunching thro some spectacular scenery.
Its the first time Ive been to Donegal, but it wont be my last!!
The route thro Donegal and the coastal roads from Derry onto the Antrim coast-road were fantastic.
No traffic, great roads and more amazing scenery.

I stopped at Coleraine/Portrush and did a lap of the famous NW200 road race circuit. I did 100mph at the point Michael Rutter broke 200 a few years ago!!
Great!!!
Its been a long ambition of mine to do the circuit, and now the box is ticked!!

Another 250 miles completed today.
Waving goodbye to Ireland tomorrow morning and will be in Scotland an hour later.
Looking forward to a rendezvous with Sophiaspin on his Thruxton for a quick blat up to Inverary and then onward into the highlands and islands!

Cant wait!!

V.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great Report Graeme,

Donegal and the NW of Ireland sound like wonderful places, but I reckon the best is yet to come.

Weather forecast looks encouraging too.

Andy

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well, thats pretty amazing TerryK!
I'm in Ballygally right now!!
Staying at the Ballygally Castle hotel.
Small world eh!!

Just completed my Day5 run from Ballina, thro counties Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal, before crossing the border thro Derry and Antrim.

The roads today have been the best yet, allowing lots of enjoyable twisty and fast mile crunching thro some spectacular scenery.
Its the first time Ive been to Donegal, but it wont be my last!!
The route thro Donegal and the coastal roads from Derry onto the Antrim coast-road were fantastic.
No traffic, great roads and more amazing scenery.

I stopped at Coleraine/Portrush and did a lap of the famous NW200 road race circuit. I did 100mph at the point Michael Rutter broke 200 a few years ago!!
Great!!!
Its been a long ambition of mine to do the circuit, and now the box is ticked!!

Another 250 miles completed today.
Waving goodbye to Ireland tomorrow morning and will be in Scotland an hour later.
Looking forward to a rendezvous with Sophiaspin on his Thruxton for a quick blat up to Inverary and then onward into the highlands and islands!

Cant wait!!

V.
We stayed in the Ballygally castle last July...made a nice change from being tossed out as a kid.
We lived a 100 mts from the castle & moved to Australia in 1968...had not been back until last year...was nice north of Ballygally...wish I had the Scrambler there.
I used to go to the NW200 with my dad....fond memories, the smell of Castro "R"& the sound of Manx nortons was as good as it gets.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I duly met Ventura this morning - perfect timing as we eased onto the Western Ferry at Gourock and then it left, landing at Hunters Quay - AndyB - we remembered your great Aunt! Had a great run to Inveraray along sweeping winding roads up to the Rest and be Thankful road, turning left and arriving in Inverary shortly thereafter. It is a good stopping point and we attracted the usual crowd - two main differences - one bike was shiny and new looking the other was not! Ventura's bike sounds great with the Zard exhaust and boy does it go. Next was heading up to the Oban road and turning left for the Green Welly at Tyndrum, where Ventura headed on - destination Mallaig. Cheers Graeme - good luck - he might post a couple of pics.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
What a day!!

Great weather, great company, and some of the best roads and riding conditions ever!!
Its been the hottest day of the year so far in UK and perfect for riding the fantastic roads of the west coast of Scotland

THE 277 MILE ROUTE TODAY

As Sofiaspin says, taking in the ferry across to Dunnoon, then Inverary and Tyndrum, then for me on thro Clencoe, Fort William, Invergarry, Glen Shiel and on to Kyle of Lochalsh.

Absolutely fantastic roads and superb scenery all the way!!

Ive taken hundreds of photo's but no time yet to sort them out, but here are a few random shots....

WITH SOPHIASPIN IN INVERARY

(Just noticed I have a very small stowaway in my bag!!)

ENTERING CLENCOE

THE BRIDGE TO SKYE AT KYLE OF LOCHALSH

All in all another amazing day, and by far the best roads yet!!

Tomorrow is the final push to John O'Groats.
Over 2000 miles in the bag now.
Scram still holding up well, altho the rear Tourance is well squared off now and boy is it DIRTY!!
Weather forecast for tomorrow is similar to today and the roads north of here just as magnificent!!
Cant wait!!

Cheers to Ian for the good company today.
His red Thux certainly stands out in the crowd and was certainly admired on route.

Bring on tomorrow!!

V.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts