Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip from Michigan to Connecticut next month
and want to make a few changes for comfort. The stock shock on the '02 T-Bird has got to go. I saw a Hagon shock recommended but don't know where to get one. I am also wondering if throwing a gel pad on top of the K&Q seat is going to be the cure-all for saddle sores. And the tallest back rest from Triumph isn't high enough to support a T-Bags or similar travel bag. Does anyone know of an aftermarket back rest that fits the T-Bird that is a bit taller? I would appreciate
any info that will help make our trip more enjoyable. Thank you.
John

·
Registered
353 Posts
John, I'm not sure about the T-Bag but my wife recently bought me the 21 litre magnetic tank-bag from Cortech. I really like it a lot. The base will fit on to the TBird tank. Plus, there's 3 sections for other uses besides "full-on tour" mode.
Hope this helps. -Wade

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
I use a tall T-bag with the stock sissy bar/luggage rack. Of the five or so velcro straps, I can get the first three around the sissy bar. There are also two retaining straps that go around the luggage rack. It's not a problem - I use mine all the time for general cargo. See my photo album link in my sig.

Also, those bungee cargo nets can work great to strap down any old thing on the pillion seat.

I'd love a Hagon shock for mine, too. I think there's a guy in New England who imports them from the UK.

Have a great trip.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Here's the link for the US distributor of Hagon shocks. :chug:

So, vonbonds, that butt buffer works well, then? I may need to get one.

My back pains me after long rides, but I think it's due to my bad posture, which tends to get to be a C-shaped slouch.

Also, the T-bags can be turned around so that they sit on the pillion seat, like vonbonds trick riggs system there (looks good).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gentlemen, I thank you all for your quick responses.
Wade-the tank bag is a great idea. I will be checking my local
dealers this week.
vonbonds-Since you vouch for the Butt Buffer, that will be my
pillow of choice. I also like the looks of your windshield. It is
definately not a Triumph unit. This apparently is also the bike that is currently in pieces at the shop. That is too beautiful a bike to meet that kind of fate. I wish you the best of luck with
finding a solution to your dilemma. Is there another dealer in the area who accepts basket cases?
Rincewind-Thank you for the Hagon link and the assurance that my stock backrest will get the job done holding up the
T-Bag. The bag will have to set on the luggage rack as my wife will be occupying the pillion. From your picture, it looks like it does the job very well indeed.
Once again, thank you all.
John :cool:

C

·
0 Posts
I have to go the cheapest route I can to make my T-comfy for a long trip, so I don't do all that much. I have a stock seat (which works better for me than the seats on my past 2 bikes, anyway) and the bike came with the sport handlebars- which helps me quite a bit with that slouching posture.

The three most import comfort factors I find are:

1) Windshield. (I use the National Cycle Plexi-fairing 3 for winter, and the steetshield for summer. Whatever you get make SURE its adjustable.)
2) Something to rest your back on, even if its just my duffel bag of clothes and my sleeping bag bungee'd to the back part of the seat. Heaven...and it doesn't take much.
3) Being able to move your feet/legs around at least a little. I kick down the passenger pegs every now and then just to move around a little even though I know its not the safest thing. I wish there was an easy way to mount highway pegs up front, but I haven't yet justified getting the engine guards from Ma's Cycle just to put pegs and lights on.

Storage is pretty important, so I did spring for a backrest/luggage rack from the dealer. Pricey, but despite the fact that the backrest is pretty low, you can crank down on the strap that goes UNDER the back pad and keep just about anything on the bike. Tie it down tight and keep the lightest stuff you can in it. I have an older Tour Master nylon sissybar bag with a roll bag that zips on and off the top.

Tank bags!!! I don't know if I'll ever ride without one. They're great- especially the ones with the map case on top. I can't imagine a long trip without one.

I have cortech saddlebags and I run the straps under the seat. It makes them a little harder to steal and stablizes them a little bit more.

So without any hugely expensive additions to my bike I've been able to go on trips up to 2000 miles (so far) without getting too uncomfy. Don't forget the tool kit, first aid kit and raingear! :)

Enjoy!
Chris

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I also use the F-15 windscreen on my TBS.
It did flex a lot with only the stock brackets so I fashioned a brace that went between the two stock side brackets and attached to the back of the tach/speedo. This mod stiffened it right up.
Check out my photo album to see photos of my bike.
The photos of the brace are under the modifications and accessories album.

[ This message was edited by: zimtok on 2005-05-31 13:39 ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts