Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the fork oil in my 02 Daytona and filled according to specs - 78mm from top. I used 10 wt oil. I adjusted preload to two lines from top. I tied a zip tie to the fork at the base and took it for a 20 minute ride. Highway, side roads and I hit the brakes hard a few times. When I got back I could barely see the zip tie. It was almost 3 inches up the fork. Seems like a lot of fork travel. I subsequently cranked the preload all the way in (no lines showing)and will take if for a ride tomorrow. What should I be expecting for travel? If this doesn't do anything should I try heavier springs. I go about 245 lbs. so I ain't no lightweight. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, they never did bottom out. I still think it feels a little twitchy in the front. Tire never seems totally settled - kind of bouncy and I can feel it losing contact. I cranked in preload all the way and will test again today.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
tri650, Since the fork isn't bottoming out I'd think the preload is correct. I'd look at the C & R dampening, but I can be wrong.

Brad

·
Registered
112 Posts
With two lines only showing you already have a lot of preload. Check the settings for the compression damping. If this is ok I would check the oil level again in case there is less than what is supposed to be. I weigh about 205lbs and have 5 lines of preload showing. And yes it uses almost all the available travel but does not bottom out.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Try heavier wt oil.

tri650,

That sounds normal to me too, I am 105kgs and use 15wt fork oil in my Sprint which does have rather soft front springs (.75) for heavier riders.

My rear shock has been rebuilt and valved etc to suit my weight with a 5mm spacer.

Try the heavier fork oil then try heavier springs if you are still not happy.
Stick with the same brand fork oil as the wt is not always the same ie Motul 10wt may not necessarilly be the same as Moterex 10wt, this sounds like BS but is true.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts